Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhapsdy

The cheap fishing line trellis :)

rhapsdy
20 years ago

OK....so this entire idea started by me playing with photoshop and my garden pictures and wondering what it would look like to have morning glories growing up my brick wall. :)

{{gwi:2751}}

So...I decided I liked how it looked and embarked on figuring out how to accomplish this look. I decided that I needed to use fishing line or a clear netting or something becuase I didn't want the "trellis" to be visable from far away, and hoped it wouldn't look too bad close up either. I search high and low for netting made out of fishing line or monofiliment. I coudln't find anything at a reasonable cost (read this to mean CHEAP).

Soo.....I sat down and planned. :) This is what I ended up with and how we made our fishing line Trellis. It cost a total of $5.00 at the most, and I have tons of fishing line left over...anyone here wanna go fishing? *laugh*

Here is the drawn plan. The top picture is what the pattern of the fishing line looks like. The lower picture with colors shows you the different peices of fishing line that were used.

As you can see the entire project took 4 long peices of fishing line. We layed out a peice on the ground down the stairs to see what length we needed and then trippled it to account for the peices of line that were going to hang down and secure this main peice over the beams of my balcony. We then attached three peices of fishing line along the main fishing line. The way we attached these peices of fishing line is by threading ferrules (see picture below) along the main peice of fishing line and then threading these three lines through those ferrules. In order to keep these three lines in place you squeeze the ferrules (aluminum metal peices) with pliers to make the space in the inside so tight that the fishing line can't move back and forth anymore. It's really just an alternative to making knots...becuase tieing knots in fishing line isn't easy and can get confusing with really long clear fishing line. *laugh*

Here is a picture of what ferrules look like..although in real life they are much smaller (about the size of a fingernail). Also, if you look at my diagram above of the balcony they are represented by the small black rectangles.

{{gwi:2752}}

As to how I attached the fishing line to the bottom by the stairs, I screwed eye screws into the wood of the stairs at the very edge behind the pots. They are small and didn't cause that big of a hole (I doubt anyone will ever notice) and I just tied the fishing line to the eye screws once we raised the entire thing so that it was taught and stayed in place.

{{gwi:2753}}

I hope that any of this made sense..if it didn't....forget I wrote this. *laugh* Here are some pictures of what the trellis looks like right now with morning glories growing up it :)

{{gwi:2754}}

{{gwi:2755}}

{{gwi:2756}}

I hope I haven't confused anyone! :) I just wanted to share my crazy trellis. LOL

-Kelly

Comments (50)

• revclaus
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kelly, awesome!! Can't wait to see it at the end of July, all in bloom and covered with vines. What a creative mind you have. I'll bet it's going to be beautiful.

Judith

• jenny_in_se_pa
    20 years ago

Ferrules. Now that's a good idea. Thread the wire through the ferrule and then through the eyehook, pull the wire tight, thread the free end through the ferrule alongside the main wire, and then squeeze the ferrule together to secure. Cool.

• armadillo
    20 years ago

Thanks Kelly,

I want to make a trellis like this for my peas. But I have other things to fix first.

'dillo

• henryr10
    20 years ago

Great idea Kelly and GREAT explanation.

If you can't find ferrules you can use split-sinkers.
    They can be picked up when you get the fishing line.

Ric

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Cool. :) I am glad this made sense to people. LOL After I wrote it I was wondering if it made sense at all. LOL Of course *I* understood it..but then I also made the thing! LOL

Split-sinkers...what are those ric? I picked up the fishing line at walmart for like $2.50 and the ferrules I got at Lowes for $1.50 or something. I already had the ferrules actually though because I use them with my Kodak job..to help display cameras securly in stores. LOL I just used what I had so I didn't have to spend any more money ehhe :) (because you know $3.00 bucks is really pushing my upper limit! lol j/k)

Anyways.....if any of you guys make one make sure to take pictures! :) ehhe

-Kelly

• DingBat
    20 years ago

Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to post your plans and pics. I think I'll steal your plan to adapt to my space. Hope you don't mind.

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

*laugh* I don't mind at all..that's why I posted this thread! :) I figured My mother and I had taken the time to figure it out...and I would share it with all of my friends online here :)

-Kelly

• greenfreak
    20 years ago

That really is a great idea! I too have a problem with the morning glories because I have nothing to train them against. I could use that idea to hang them down on either side of the overhang above my door. It would create a little vestibule on my stoop. Oh my goodness, what a great idea!! Thanks!

• whytephoenix
    20 years ago

Very cool! Now, if I can just get my little brothers to send me some old fishing line...

• henryr10
    20 years ago

Kelly,
    You use them to weigh down the bait under a bobber in fishing.
    Just go to the fishing supplies at Wally World, etc,
    They will be in little plastic cases like the hooks come in.
    They are little metal beads split down the middle.
    Place the line in them and squeeze them shut.
    They are permanant and VERY cheap.

Ric

• madpetunia
    20 years ago

AWESOME IDEA!! truly genius.

I totally plan to copy it ;-).....glad you don't mind!
    Madpetunia

• AlllieNYC
    20 years ago

Kelly ..

Great idea. I am inspired by this. My clematis has extended past it's trellis. Thinking it might be cool to string it along the wall somehow.

Keep us posted on the progress!

• deusexmachina
    20 years ago

Cool,
    As D. lo may remember, I do something similar with my tomatoes (string trellis.) You can sustitue, split-washers or s-hooks, or even all those extra keyrings you have lying around for the ferrules.

• teresaWA
    20 years ago

Sounds/looks awesome K! I wonder, though, do MG's take any sort of training here? Like tying them w/yarn etc.? Or do they just naturally dig the "invisible trellis" and head on up?
    (Curious because I want to try something over my sliding glass balcony doors...of course, that's in shade all the time, so any shady vine recommendations welcome.)
    teresa

• jenny_in_se_pa
    20 years ago

Teresa - MGs naturally "twine" so if you guide them to the line, they will wrap around it. You don't have to tie them.

• nygardener
    20 years ago

I love it! What a great idea.

• susiemw
    20 years ago

Thank you so much!

They just took out two trees from my back yard. Those were the only two trees :( but now I do have sun and perhaps can do a bit of gardening.

Since they took out the trees now all I have to look at is the ugly wall of the business next door. With their permission, I just planted morning glories along their chain link fence. Now I am going to adapt your fishing line trellis to the building itself. Not quite sure how yet.
    The building is metal the bottom 1/2 is blue and top 1/2 is white. There are some windows so I think I will anchor the trellis with some sort of stake into the ground and take those at an angle to the window and somehow link them to the window edge. Hmmmmmmm.
    Thanks for the great idea.

Susan

• JamieSueNYC
    20 years ago

Hey, when do we get to see the updated pictures of the fishing line trellis?

-Jamie sue

• rhapsdy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hey guys! I haven't been around much in the last month. My job and my business are keeping me extremely busy! And besides that my plants are hating our really hot weather and it seems no matter what I do I can't keep them watered enough and happy. Of course then there are the few plants who stay too watered even though I used the same kind of soil for them as everything else that is doing ok and I haven't watered them in ages becuase they just won't dry out. And yes..they have drainage holes and they aren't blocked. anyways...every summer is a new experience! :)

As to the fishing line trellis I will take some pictures this weekend and share the update pictures soon :). I've got LOTS of foliage growth but no flowers. :( AND in the past two days I've got these annoying white little like gnats that have decided to attack the vines....where when I touch them they fly around crazy. And now the leaves are turning yellow. LOL Oh boy sounds like I've got lots of garden headaches. I guess this is what happens when life takes over and you don't have as much time to spend in the garden and baby things..or even just water things! lol

-Kelly

• rainbowraven
    20 years ago

Kelly, what ever happend with this? did the white flies get you?

I thought this was such a beautiful idea and would love to know how it's working out, pitfalls, things you might do different next time or if it's something you would never touch again.

Donna

• susiemw
    20 years ago

Hi all,

when I read about the fishing line trellis idea I just knew that was what I needed for my front porch.

If you'd like to see pics click on the link below.
    it was already afternoon and most of the morning glories were closed but you'll get the idea.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: fishing line trellis and morning glories

• jenny_in_se_pa
    20 years ago

Susan - Wow. That turned out great! I also like your cannas. Thanks for sharing! :-D

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Oh Susan, that is really a tropical paradise! Ditto on the cannas - simply gorgeous.

jeribelle

• Jackie McCarty
    20 years ago

i did something similar to what you have. at the end of our driveway near the house, there is a chain link fence about 3 1/2 feet tall. i nailed tiny nails to the top of our carport and ran fishing line vertically and horizontally. like a grid. i have morning glories, sweet peas, and hyacinth bean vine growing up it and from the other end of the driveway you can't see what the plants are growing on so they look like they are 'floating'. i don't know how long the fishing line will last though...

i like your idea.

Jackie/STROBE

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

I also used the fishing line trellis idea this year, with a pot on my front porch, and with some purple hyacinth bean vines in the ground.

For the purple Hyas, I thought some others might have some innovative ideas other than the one I came up with. Due to our severe high risk of termites here in the deep south, we do not put anything wood anywhere near a foundation of a house, including treated wood for trellises up against the house. Trust me, even treated wood will become infested with termites in no time, if it is in contact with the ground, as evidenced by a treated lumber playset the former owner's children played on here.

Anyhow, I took plastic milk jugs and filled close to full with water, allowing a bit of air space for expansion/contraction. I buried them in the sandy soil, where I wanted my fishing line to be, all but the handles. Those were where I anchored my fishing line, and they are totally covered and invisible, with Hyas vine.

These are on either side of the overhead garage door. Now...how for this gal with orthopedic problems to anchor the tops...I just looped the fishing line over the light fixtures mounted on either side of the door. I figured a bit of judicious leaf removal would be easy, should they totally cover the lights. The vines look fabulous, and I have no danger of termites from my setup. I figure the fishing line is fairly strong, and should hold up fine for a season. When the vines get nasty looking, all I have to do is snip a couple of lines, and throw the whole bunch in the trash, and re-string next year.

jeribelle

Here is a link that might be useful: purple hyacinth bean vine on fishing line

• susiemw
    20 years ago

Thanks everyone. I love the way the porch turned out with the fishing line trellis. It's nice to have some privacy.

Jeribelle,

thanks for the great idea. I use old milk/water gallon jugs planted in the garden to slowly "water" the plants but I would have never thought of using them to anchor my fishing line trellis.

thanks!!

Susan

• Xena_Z4or5
    20 years ago

Kelly -

I loved your idea for the fishing line. My apartment has a brick wall where I'm planning my garden just crying out for adornment. I'm going to use fishing line & brick clips to make trellises for my flowers & veggies. Without your post, I would never have come up with the idea. :-)

Thanks,
    Sonja

P.S. How did you imbed your pics like that? All I've figured out to do was put a URL link in my post.

• jbbiery
    20 years ago

I did not find exactly what I was looking for, but did get some new ideas. Thanks.

• ines
    20 years ago

wow! how beautiful those look like!! Im not having any luck with my trellis. Last weekend Idefinitely pruned out all the foliage on my spanish jasmine because it was infested with aphids. It doesn´t seem to notice them, and was growing like crazy, but all my roses became infested every summer so...

Anyway this trellis is in a shade spot, receiving just 2 hrs sunlight insummer. The jasmine grew but it didn´t had any flowers ( well, some but very very few ), so I will try scented peas...does Morning Glorys tolerate shade? do you have the latin name ofthis plant?

Ines

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

That's a great idea. I'm going to do that on the balcony to get vines to climb up to the roof for some privacy and shade. And also on the brick wall.

• zabby17
    19 years ago

Hey, rhapsdy, I got a Lee Valley gift certificate from my sister, and I spent it on their upscale, NOT so cheap version of the cheap fishing line trellis. I was willing to spend the $$ because a) it wasn't my $$ ;-) and 2) I'm moving in the fall and want to be able to reuse the thing in my new location; they have a supposedly easily removeable adhesive.

But I was thinking of you, and how if I were a cleverer, thriftier balconeer, I wouldn't need Lee Valley!

Zabby

• ruggy
    19 years ago

Ok, all this talk got me going a bit ago and built my trellis. I had eyebolts installed into the ceiling of the balcony. I installed carabiners into the eyebolts to string the fishing line through, and chain between the eyebolts for hanging baskets.

The fishing line runs in overlapping concentric pyramids, and makes for an interesting design even before the plants started up them.

All in all, the whole project cost me about $15.

I'm adding a link below to a gallery... some of it's hard to see, because fishing line is clear :0)

• ruggy
    19 years ago

Ok, update time... my morning glories are only mere inches from the ceiling now, and I've had several lovely blooms... unfortunately, they peak while I'm at work, so I don't really get to see much of them... but I'm hopefull for the weekend! :0)

They continue to grow, and branch out... seems like every day I'm training two or three additional vines up the string... some of them have 3 or 4 each! I'm definately going to have add more fishing line next season!

At any rate, I've got some new pics... some of them of the little fountain that I have now added fish and plants too :0) But mostly morning glories! The top link in the following page (2004 - 07-01 - Balcony) are the latest pictures...

Hope you are all enjoying the summer and having fantastic success with your lovelies!

• diamah
    17 years ago

Has anyone tried the fishing line idea for a plant that's relatively heavy like a grapevine or (less heavy) bower vine? I have beautiful columns that support an arbor and don't really want to train the vines around the columns, just want to insert an eye hook at the top of the arbor and use fishing line to train the vine up from the ground but adjacent to and not attached to the columnn. Thanks!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

If you get the right weight (strength) of fishing line, it should be fine for those. Since it stretches over time, you might want to thread the eye hooks so the line could be tightened if necessary.

• amyben
    17 years ago

Hi, I would really like to see your pictures, but for some reason can't. I tried clicking on your question marks and going to your page but nada. Have you ever used bird netting for annual vines? It also dissappears and holds a lot of weight if you weave either 1/2" wood or steel (better) through the top.
    AmyBen

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Hi amyben and welcome! If you check the date that the original poster created this thread, it was 3 years ago and some of the pictures were apparently taken down. It is a good thread though, which is why it keeps coming back!! :-D

• angie83
    17 years ago

I agree I saw this and it works great on my woodin fence around my patio its the neatest thing I ever saw ,really works well ,wish they would repost his neat pictures .Angie

• diamah
    17 years ago

Just wanted to follow up and say that the fishing line has worked well so far with both my grape and bower vine, although I anticipate having to replace it in a year or two.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

That's good to know that it held up a grape vine!

• angie83
    17 years ago

I love this Idea did it last year on my woodin fence worked great with Morning glorys ,Passion flowers,Bower pandoras,and best with my confederit jasmine.I think this is the best thing since peanut butter.It cheap and when it gets cold you just cut the line and bring the plants in with all it healthy growth.I even have my pipevines on it .

• ruggy
    17 years ago

I'm going to put up a new trellis this year... nothing I've done before or since has worked as well! The chicken wire was not such a great success, and it was a bear to get off the railing.

I'm planning a twist this year though... I'm thinking of using white christmas lights along with the fishing line... nice glow on warm summer nights... have to make sure I add some moonflowers to the mix!

• angie83
    17 years ago

Nice idea I might do the same.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Ruggy - the lights sound cool! Am looking forward to seeing some pics of that!!!!

• ruggy
    16 years ago

Well, although I did get a few pics of the trellis after it was constructed and just started getting some vines on it, I'm afraid there won't really be anymore...

Big word of advice... if you're going to embark on a large scale fishing line or christmas light trellis... talk to the building owners ahead of time and make sure they don't have any major projects scheduled that will affect you, or devise a system that is not connected to the building in any way and can be moved...

After hundreds of hours (and dollars) getting the balcony together (I think one of my best years yet) and getting some really nice vines going (trellis was about half full), The Management informs us that they are completely refurbishing the balconies this summer... stripping, patch/repair, painting (including the railing that the trellis was anchored on).

So I had the heart-wretching duty of having to rip out huge amounts of vining plants and take down all my hard-worked lights (not to mention my pond, the low-voltage lighting, take up the carpeting, etc). I have to arrange a ballet with maintainence over the rest of the plants, because they think I should be able to just drag everything off the balcony into the apartment (and leave it there for a month or two)... despite the fact that plants need sunshine (and protection from the 3 kitties I share my home with).

I'm quite despondent over the whole fiasco and am now considering moving up my house-buying plans, all because no one thought it would be a reasonably good idea to let folks know we were going to have major maintainence on the balconies BEFORE the season started. Sigh.

Thanks for letting me vent :0)

• posiegirl
    16 years ago

That's heartbreaking! I can't imagine having to cart in all my balcony plants and setups. I'd just have to throw them all away. I don't have room to store pots in my apartment. Geez, I sure sympathize with you.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

ruggy - I am sorry to hear that! I know a couple years ago, they came around to paint over a green strip along the ceiling and front edge of my balcony that the previous building owners had put there and it was a nuisance shifting things so that they could get to where they needed to go. I know someone had posted here a bunch of years ago (maybe Janice in Ontario?) where her complex's balconies were being completely ripped out and rebuilt and she had a similar issue but worse... although she didn't have as much as many of us... But she ended up trying to garden inside that summer with a "light closet" (growing peppers, etc). There are days when I try not to think about it as I expect one of these days they will want to paint the concrete here (some have already been done when tenants moved out).

• ruggy
    16 years ago

Normally they do paint the balconies on my building when folks move, but this year they want to patch and all that jazz... AND they are changing the color, so I can't be left alone. The whole building has to be painted.

So far they've cut chunks out of the edge face (covering everything in dust in the process) and started patching in the new concrete... so everything is jammed up against the inside to give them room for that. I dread to think what happens on the next stage when everything has to come in (I can't get away with moving stuff side to side for that part). They think they'll be done by the end of august or middle of september... fun! Grrrr.

It's such a mess that I really can't even sit out on the balcony in the evenings... I think I should get a discount on the rent for losing the use of 2 "rooms" of my apartment! LOL

• sydney480
    16 years ago

I would love to get a picture of this, if someone can help me out. I want to plant morning glories and a variety of vines and need to cover the railings on the deck and for privacy...Can anyone help??

• angie83
    16 years ago

I have done this for 2 years now love it it works on everything here are some pics.This it the greatest thing Iv found its so easy too.
    {{gwi:2757}}
    {{gwi:2758}}
    {{gwi:2759}}
    {{gwi:2760}}

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer