Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katwomn59

Coiled watering hoses

katwomn59
18 years ago

Has anyone used those coiled watering hoses that you can hook up to your kitchen sink? Now that it is summer I am watering a whole lot more than I used to (also have more and bigger pots!) and lugging a big watering can out to the balcony 3 or 4 times is wearing me out. I got one from HD that was 60' long and pretty heavy duty. The coil was about 4" in diameter. It came with the adapter and worked pretty well except I found it pretty heavy and cumbersome. So I returned it. I have seen some on the web that are much smaller in diameter and range from 20'-45'. It comes with a watering wand that is very small which I like because it is easier to get the water to the roots without wetting the leaves. The coil looks like it is a lot smaller in diameter and looks like it wouldnt be as heavy. I am thinking about ordering it but was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has actually used it before I buy it. Not so easy to return mail order stuff!

Thanks,

Lydia

Here is a link that might be useful: Walk N Water

Comments (7)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I had one of the earlier models of those coiled ones about 7 years ago and it was awful after awhile... Ie., it clogged very easily and once it did that, there was less and less flow and not much water pressure and then the flow stopped altogether rendering the thing pretty much useless. It's probably great for houseplants but I have 4, 21" containers alone with 2 shrubs, a tree, and a perennial vine, not to mention close to 100 other containerized shrubs, perennials, etc., and watering with that would probably take longer than doing it by hand.

I currently have a "RealEasy" 50ft hose by Ames that rolls up into its own storage carrier (with the hose built in as part of the unit). It is a small diameter hose but no where near as small a diameter as the coiled one at your link. Thus it is lightweight by not being a full diameter hose for that length, but has enough diameter to give good water pressure for large container watering. It also hooks up to the sink and takes standard hose attachments (nozzles or wands). It can also hold up to the weather (mine stays out year round on my covered balcony but back against the wall). I've had mine for about 6 years now and it's great.

{{gwi:1626}}

• katwomn59
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jenny! That looks like just what I need! I rearranged stuff on my balcony to try to make room for one of those things for keeping a regular hose(pretty much decided not to get the coiled one and got a regular one, but I can return it). But what you have looks perfect for balcony. Smaller and more compact. Where did you get it?
    Lydia

• katwomn59
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Something else I meant to ask. Living in an apartment, one must worry about doing any damage that might forfeit the security deposit (or worse). When you have your hose hooked up and the water turned on, but with the watering end turned off, can the water pressure build up and cause any damage/leaks in the pipes?
    Lydia

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Lydia - I got my hose at a local True Value store. You can check around at the various hardware stores and often they will sell the compact hoses like the one I have.

And with respect to having the water on and the nozzle end closed off, I haven't had any problems. Basically the water pressure in a line will eventually come to an equilibrium with the water in the rest of the pipe system and the hose would be essentially the equivalent of the extension of the main pipe, assuming you have a decent hose attached. The main thing to worry about is that you have a secure connection on the nozzle, which is an issue for any hose. I usually keep a roll of teflon tape around to wrap the hose-end threads for when I first screw on the nozzle to give a more secure seal. In any case, I wouldn't leave the water turned on permanently for any hose - whether one on the balcony or one for a house. I turn it on for when I use it and then turn it off when done.

• katwomn59
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jenny! I stopped by Lowes today and there they were! I wonder why I never noticed them before!

The one thing I liked about the coiled hose was that it came with brass quick connect fittings. There were no leaks although it spurted water when I disconnected it (even though I had turned the water off!). So I turned off the water and let the excess bleed out from the nozzle end before I disconnected it. I dont plan to leave the water on for any long length of time, so it is reassuring to know that there shouldnt be any problems with the water pressure. I had visions of my kitchen faucet blasting off from the sink!

Thanks again,
    Lydia

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

LOL Lydia! :-D

And glad you did find one right away. They might have just put some out when you checked out the store as I noticed that places like that will have the "summer" stuff out in April/May and then there's a big run on it, afterwhich there's not much of that type of specialized stuff left after Memorial Day. Then there's a lull and they sometimes restock in mid-summer before getting ready to yank it all for fall.

I bleed my hose too - especially since I don't want it to squirt when I disconnect it from the sink. I will usually cut the water off at the sink and then will leave my trigger nozzle open until the pressure is down. I don't think the hose drains completely when I do that but some of my tiny pots do manage to get enough for a little drink with what does come out.

• katwomn59
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Got my hose Jenny! Havent tried it out yet cause the heatwave down here has resumed and it is 120 degrees on my balcony right now. Gonna wait til it cools down a bit before I water! But I just wanted to say thanks again for the info!
    Lydia

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County