Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydiagb

Lots of advice needed

lydiagb
16 years ago

My husband and I live in West Hollywood and have a small balcony that gets full Western sun. Our success has been hit or miss but I have decided to take it upon myself to get some successful greenery going. First let me say that the plants can't be poisonous to animals since both our cats and one of our rabbits go out there and hop up into the planters to hang out (which is not a problem for us). In fact I'd like to make it so that they can lounge in the dirt under the shade of the plants. My main concern is that the plants don't require a lot of care or have specific individual needs like different soil types for each plant. Blooming plants are great but I'm really going for greenery. I happen to love fragrant flowers like jamsine, lilacs, roses etc. but those aren't a priority. Although maybe one would be nice. I bought a Breynia disticha (snowbush) from Trader Joe's and it is doing well but it is on our kitchen table right now. I haven't replanted it outside yet. We have a couple of plants that are hanging on right now and I'm not completely sure what they are. Two were rescues that we found by the dumpster. I could take pics if anyone would like to try to identify them and help me bring them back to their full glory.

So I would love suggestions as to what would do well in zone 10 on a balcony that will get attention from our pets as well as us. Also some herbs would be great like mint and basil but I don't know if I need a specific type.

I appreciate all advice and please let me know if you need more specifics. A great nursery recommendation would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Lydia

Comments (3)

• rixblonde
    16 years ago

You should try a pumeria,hibiscus,jasmine sabac,and majesty palms that should give you what your looking for and very easy maintnance just occational pruning.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

One of my balcony neighbors had (and I believe still has because I suddenly started seeing the droppings again) a pretty kitty (now cat) who used to lounge under my lilac:

{{gwi:2824}}

My sister has a puffy blue-point Himalayan cat who would lounge in her miscanthus grass planted in a half-barrel container when she lived in an apartment. Her cat also liked batting the grass then and still likes this type of grass, which my sister now has planted in the ground at the house she moved into about 6 years ago. Her cat, on her rare forays outside, will go right for it and lie under it.

I think if you get a big enough container (20" or bigger diameter), you could plant something with a wide canopy that the pet can snooze under including something as simple as a ficus (any type, assuming you keep it out there year round). However you may want to make sure that the animal doesn't decide to make your pot their potty as that may cause damage to the plant. You could grow wheat or oat grass for the cats and some kale, parsley, and dill for the rabbit to munch on.

The plants that rixblonde mentions may work, although the plumie may not be able to take constant animal knocking if it isn't secured and there is a potential for branch breaks (and irritating sap oozing). Of course that would equal cuttings too! LOL

• organic_marzipan
    16 years ago

Hi lydia, I've recently fallen in love with balcony container gardening and have enjoyed having strawberries and wild strawberries. Tho good luck getting your rabbits not to eat them. >_

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH