Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_va

fed up with cheap watering cans

james_va
17 years ago

Hey Folks,

Anyone have recommendations for the very best watering can(s)? I'd like something a good several gallons that doesn't have all kinds of messy back-dripping as I ease off watering. That's been my problem to date.

I'll pay up for quality.

Thanks!

-James

Comments (13)

• james_va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok in the name of decency I'll reply to this to get it moving down the line...

• containergirl
    17 years ago

James, I wish I could help. I'm in the same boat with a cheap plastic number from the hardware store down the street. It has excess plastic that cuts into my hand every time. Guess I should file that off. But I would like a nice can, too. I have a nice 3 quart copper one from Smith and Hawken that is a pleasure to work with, but I need something bigger for those darned thirsty tomatoes!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

When I first saw this post, I did a quick search on google and saw one billed as drip proof, but I really didn't seen any difference between its design and other ones out there. Seems that any that have some sort of wide sprinkler nozzle on the end are going to collect some excess water that will drip out when the can is repositioned back to a horizontal position. I have a Rubbermaid 2-gallon, some unknown 1-gallon, and a 1 quart one and all but the quart size drips (probably because the quart doesn't have the sprinkler nozzle attachment). I guess if the angled spout is molded to be straight the entire length without any curve added at the end and the cone sprinkler attachment only has holes at the very top and not along the sides or near the bottom, that might reduce or eliminate much of the drip.

• james_va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Folks,

Thanks very much for the replies. I may take a stab at ordering something billed as a great watering can and see how it goes. I'll give a shout back if it's really swell. Thanks again,

-James

• cirrus_cloud
    17 years ago

I don't have firsthand experience with these, but Haws watering cans are supposed to be good. The metal ones are really expensive, but they have cheaper plastic ones ('Practican') with the same design.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haws watering cans

• james_va
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oooooohhhh!

These look temptingly nice :) I think I'll have a go!

Thanks!

-James

• katwomn59
    17 years ago

I have one of the Haws watering cans. It works really well. I especially like the right angle downspout. Really helps to keep you from wetting the leaves of low growing foliage. The only problem with it is the one I have is too small (conservatory can) for the number of plants I have to water these days. Also the opening is very narrow and I cant get my hand in there to clean the inside. Probably not a problem if you are only using water or synthetic ferts, but I use stuff like fish emulsion and feel the need to wash it out afterwards. I really want to get a 1 or 2 gal one but cant quite bring myself to pay that much for a watering can! But if you are willing to invest that kind of money, I highly recommend them.
    Lydia

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Haws, hands down. I lost mine a few years ago but this thread made me think about it. I'm off to order one now. Tally Ho!

• watergal
    17 years ago

This is what I've used for several years now. It's two gallon plastic, runs around $9 to $12, and lasts forever. I'm a professional interior landscaper, so mine (I have two for work and one at home) get constant use and abuse and haven't been damaged yet. Make sure you get the one WITHOUT the rose - the one with the rose seems to be much more available in stores and it does drip like mad. I bought one but I won't use it indoors at all because of that.

Big bonus - it fits under nearly all kitchen faucets and many bathroom sink faucets and is comfortable in the hand.

They also make smaller sized ones that are just as good.

Here is a link that might be useful: watering can

• tuanh
    17 years ago

go to Target store you will some good one there in Spring

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

Watergal, if ever a watering can could be called 'cute', that one is. I have never seen them here. Being in Canada, we sometimes don't get the same stuff and some things aren't worth ordering due to shipping costs. My hunt continues..

• odyssey3
    12 years ago

I have a hawes for my indoor plants but use a dramm for my patio containers and am very happy with it. It comes in a bigger size than the hawes--10 liters. I have to carry it downstairs and wanted to make as few trips as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: dramm

• james_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!