Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to water containers?

Posted by terrace_gardener 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 13:34

We are new to gardening and I've read two schools of thought on the subject. When is the BEST time to water containers (tomatoes/dwarf fruit trees/plants)? I live on a south-facing terrace in So California and it certainly is taking the heat (98 degrees +) as probably a lot of other cities are this summer.
One school says that the best time is in the morning so the plant can take the day heat and dry out so not to attract the night bugs while another says that the plants need a cool drink at the end of a summers day. We've had our share of bugs--thrips, cabbage worms & leaf miners as-well-as leaf drop to possibly overwatering. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to water containers?

If you are finding 2 schools of thought, then there will always be a debate and no one can actually insist which is "right" or "best". ;-)

I have done both depending on whether my plant needs the water or not. If I find the soil dry in the morning, I'll try to get out there and water then. And if it is dry in the evening, I'll water at that time.

I think a big part of the issue of morning vs evening seems to actually revolve around overhead watering and wet leaves, where it's generally easier for the leaves to dry as the day progresses, which helps to reduce leaf diseases. Whereas watering overhead in the afternoon may result in leaves remaining wet overnight as the temperature drops and evaporation slows.

Of course there is the other school of thought that says that Mother Nature "waters" during the day and at night and plants do just fine, so what does it matter? Plus there is the issue of those who are in areas with very little humidity and adding moisture in the air via misting can often keep the plant's leaves from dessicating.

o

Depending on the plant, pot, it's positon in the sun, some of my containers get watered twice a day. Tally Ho!

o

I'd rather do it in the morning. This way the plants have time to soak up the moisture & can face the heat of the day. However during the week, unless I have a day off, it's not gonna happen. I get up at 5am & out of the house by 6. There is no time for watering. Morning waterings are for weekends & days off.
Since I get home at about 5PM or so, I usually get everything watered by 6:30. It's my "unwind time".
It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to water everything.
YARD-072906

o

Your garden is so lovely! I feel terribly guilty about my few plants outside. I work 54 hours a week (three 14 hour days) so I rarely got a chance to go outside and water. My poor plants dried up! I have two bleeding hearts and one hosta that got the worst of it...and I'm hoping that they'll come back in the spring, but if not, I'll try to get some more "drought tolerant" varieties for the days when I can't go water!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here