Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aphids help!

Posted by jasonsherwood north carolina (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 15:34

have small balcony in downtown urban area; concrete all around, no other greenery within 200 yrds.
last year no bugs great growth, this year aphids have infested our hibiscus tree.
have tried a product called Seven in powder and liquid form and a mild soap and water mixture (lost all leaves from plant, luckily came back if full force)
any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aphids help!

Whenever I've had aphids, I used Safer's Insecticidal soap. Note that many of these products suggest that you apply out of the sun or you may get leaf damage or drop. If you have a spray bottle, you could also try holding the branches over a bucket and blast the aphids off with water. The adults fly in and will lay eggs which hatch to produce the aphids that you see, so it doesn't matter that there's no vegetation nearby. I'm up on the 18th floor of a concrete building, way above the trees and get aphids. :-(

Also hope that you start seeing more of these:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This is a ladybug larva I took a picture of last evening. These little hungry guys dispatch of aphids like there's no tomorrow. If you see any of these, try to move them to the infestation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here