Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisylondon_gw

Jasmine looks unwell

DaisyLondon
18 years ago

Have had a jasmine plant for about three years which grows quite big on a trellis.

This year, after its first flowering, I cut it back as usual. The new days look nice and green and glossy. Then after a few days, they are wilted, curled up and yellowish.

Why..?!

BTW The jasmine is on a south facing terrace which gets really hot. It is in the shadiest bit of it though it still gets quite a lot of sun. In this heat I water it most days.

Comments (6)

• john_z
    18 years ago

Hi DaisyLondon! Could you tell me the type of "jasmine" you have, preferrably the botanical name if you know it? Then we can take a look at the needed cultural and environmental factors that may be causing its demise. There are quite a number of plants referred to as jasmine (in the vernacular), but most are unrelated to eachother and have different needs.

Thanks! John_Z.

• DaisyLondon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry I should have mentioned what type as my other jasmine (which is Madagascar) is perfectly fine.

The unwell one is a pink jasmine. It flowers early, anytime from February to April then again at the end of August or September. As the terrace is third floor, it stays pretty warm (for example my geraniums flower all year except January and February). This year the jasmine flowered in March but then the frost got the flowers. This has happened before, we have fairly warm winters so things flower then we have a cold snap at the end of March.

I cut it right back and it seems to be growing back fine and lots more leaves sprouting, but as I said after a few days they yellow and wilt.
    Thanks,
    Daisy

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

It could be you are watering too much. You might want to let it dry some and watch for when it starts to wilt and then consider watering again.

• john_z
    18 years ago

Hi again! I think I'm going to skip the "which species" thing for the moment, since you said about the leaves that they are wilted, curled up, and yellowish after a few days. There are a few fossibilities we can zero-in on.

If you are seeing death of the stems or branches in addition to wilting leaves, root damage or disease is often a cause, and it can be made worse by over-watering (as Jenny suggested). If there is a fungal infection affecting the root system, it is made worse by the potting medium becoming too acidic over a period of time, as well as a too wet condition. Almost all potting media have a pH drop to the acidic side starting about one year after we start watering it.

There are also a number of bacterial infections that can occur, and some work systemically from the potting mix to the roots and move internally throughout the plant. This also causes wilting of the foliage rather quickly sometimes, but most bacterial infections leave an oily and irregularly shaped soak area on the leaves. Do check for that.

Again, I would check to see if there is death of stem and branches, and if you are unsure, just cut back a seemingly dead branch or twig to see if it still has a tiny green ring within it. If it has it, then the stem is still alive. If it is dead, keep cutting in short increments until you see the green ring. If possible, lift the plant gently out of its container to examine the roots, checking for any dead or rotting ones.

We can't leave out plant pests either as a possibility. If you are not familiar with them, I'll be glad to give you a rundown. For rapid wilting, I would check for spider mites first because leaf curling is common. (Leaf tips also become dry and brown quickly on most plants). Spider mites are a pinhead size and some are even invisible without a x15 magnification. At the advanced stage of building their colony you will see webbing (but not with all species) and usually on the undersides of the leaves first. If the leaves of your plant have a distinct bronze colour, let me know and I'll share info about a new and very non-typical spider mite that is making its rounds.

I'll be in touch!

P.S. The second sentence of my last posting didn't make sense when I re-read it (isn't the first time either) but I think you know what I meant. LOL.

• rozsab
    7 years ago

Hi John, my jasmine leaves are curling and stems drying. You said it may be spider mites. How do you treat them? How do I bring the plants back to health? Thx.

• HU-574512099
    5 years ago

I’ve had my star jasmine arch (2 plants joining in the middle over a metal arch ) for 4 weeks and the flowers have shrivelled very quickly. The plant is well established ( in containers) but very worried as there are lots of spider mites cobwebs. I spray them with a part vinegar/ baking soda/ water/soap mix but they seem to be resisting the spraying. Is it normal for the flowers to shrivel after blooming? Also I an effort not to over water, I worry I’m not watering enough. Are there set rules to adhere to? Any help at all would be very welcome, thanks Sue

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery