Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun -- Roots or Flowers??

Posted by skiptomydarlin CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 19:36

Hi Everyone. I'm new to gardening... in fact, i haven't even started yet. But I will soon be moving into a new apartment with a huge balcony, and I'm excited about what I can make of it. Since all I can do right now is Dream-Garden, I've been researching plants and thinking of where I want to place them on the balcony, where they will grow best, etc. Here's my stupid question: When the instructions for plants indicate "sun" does that mean sun on the petals/leaves, or sun at the base of the plant. (I think it means leaves/petals). The balcony has a solid railing, no light can get through, so I'm curious even if I plant TALL plants next to the railing, should they be ones that like sun (since the tops of tall plants would get sun) or shade (since the solid balcony wouldn't allow light through to the base of the plant).

Thanks for you help. I promise to ask smarter questions once I've got some experience. : )

Julian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun -- Roots or Flowers??

Hi Julian and welcome!

There have been balcony gardeners who have posted here in the past about the challenges of growing with a solid wall on the balcony. Seems most of the pictures of that arrangement have come from Californians and Canadians.

What you might want to consider is creating shelves that will raise smaller plants up towards the top of the wall to get the sun they need. Usually the sun reference is in terms of the foliage as the plant needs that to photosynthesize through the leaves. Sun at the base will warm the soil, so it's not necessarily deteremental unless it's blazing (and that can fry the roots depending on the pot size, color, type, and watering habit).

The wall can definitely help with growing shade-loving plants, although it will probably depend on which way the balcony faces, whether there are any trees, buildings, etc., around that can block it, and how the sun travels across the balcony (including going up over, with sun shining down on the area behind the wall, etc).

Anyway, some of these things you may not know yet until you move in and observe how and where the light hits and at that point, you can move the plants around or up higher to get the amount of sun they need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here