Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In Fear of Frost

Posted by dolcetta 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 2:26

I have recently moved to an (urban) apartment with 4 large outdoor spaces, 2 shabby, neglected gardens and 2 HUGE (room-sized) upper-level balconies. Being overwhelmed with the amount of landspace (finally!) at my disposal, and being as it is so late in the season, I've decided to focus my attentions on the balconies and wait until after spring to attack the others. One balcony faces east, the other west, both enjoy full sun, are subjected to the wind and have hook-ups for hoses, so watering is going to be a breeze. Both are also fully visible from inside and rather prominantly seen from the street. My problem is that winter is fast approaching, and being rather impatient, I would like to enjoy a month or 3 enjoying my new surroundings in a lush sea of color before Ohio's bleak winter arrives to smother it all. What can I plant now, in mid-August, that would allow me to indulge this fantasy? So far my starter-garden (I'm a novice here)consists of a standard hibiscus tree, that's suffering from the wind, a thriving canna lily, some hanging supertunia, a hydrangea I can't diagnose, for example. I'd like to get some climbers started along the railing and up the wall, but is this something I'm going to wait for? Thanks to all in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In Fear of Frost

Grab a couple knockout roses in bloom then plant them in the yard in november. Likewise wth a pee gee hydrangea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here