Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
splotchy leaves

Posted by fzyflwrchld D.C./VA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 10:13

I tried to Google what it might be but keywords "splotchy leaves" only got me cannabis growing websites. I'm on the second floor with a north facing balcony in D.C./VA. It's affecting my zinnias, sweet mint, and spinach. I have other mint plants but they don't look affected, none of my other plants look affected either (rosemary, daisy, strawberry, sunflower, lavender). It had affected my marigolds and nasturtium but then it went away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: splotchy leaves

Have you checked for spider mites? They would be on the undersides of your leaves. That looks similar to mite damage that I've seen on some of my plants.

o

Yup, spider mites, you were right. Um, now what?

o

I wrote a long answer to your question about what to do but I guess it got lost in cyberspace. The simplest way to deal with spider mites is to wash them off with a stream of water. If you can mist the plants daily, that might help. They really prefer dry areas, I've been told.

o

Ok thanks! I'll see if it helps. Do you know of the leaves recover from the splotchiness? I read online to use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the bottom of the leaves so I did that, hard to tell if they've come back or not though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here