Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grasshopper Problem

Posted by sangeetha 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 11:25

Hi all:

I am relatively new to gardening and have started off with a few plants in my balcony... recently I have this grasshopper paying a visit to my plants almost every day... the problem seems to worsen with each passing day... now most of the leaves in my plants have gaping holes in them... I am not sure how to eradicate this pest... are there any control measures that I can use to get rid of it without damaging my plants??... I would like to keep pesticides as my last option and would LOVE to hear about some "home-made" remedies...

Best Wishes,
Sangeetha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grasshopper Problem

You might try spraying the plants with Neem oil. It is a natural insecticide made from the oil of the Neem tree. Make sure you read the directions carefully and apply per the label (ie., don't spray when the sun is out, etc). Also check to see if certain plants shouldn't be sprayed.

o

Thanks a lot for the advice "Jenny in se pa"... today I read on the internet that spraying plants with strongly brewed coffee too might be of help in getting rid of a grasshopper... any idea if this might work??...

o

If the thought is that the caffeine in the coffee might kill them, you could try it. You would want to make sure that you don't get too much in the soil (try to keep it just on the leaves) as brewed coffee is relatively acidic and you don't want to unecessarily affect the pH of your soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here