Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colorful flowers for shade and pots?

Posted by loverofeasyplants Germany (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:46

The Background info: (For the real question, skip to "The Real Question")

I rent an apartment with a small patio. I'm not allowed to plant flowers in the soil beyond my patio, because it doesn't belong to me, however there are large plants that have been planted by the landlord. They throw shade onto the patio almost the whole day.

The patio faces the south, and there is a brick wall (of a building) on the east side, and on the west, a vine-covered lattice. Because I have to pot everything, I tried taking the same type of flower pots that are designed for balconies and lining them up along the edge of the patio. I then planted the cheapest flowers I could find, and as to be expected, I was pretty unsuccessful.

My rose never even started to grow, my Daliahs are overgrown and only bloomed for about three days before all their petals fell off, my daylilies still haven't bloomed, but look like they've been trying to for the last three weeks, my Fuschia were beautiful for three weeks before suddenly dying, and my Geraniums (in a hanging pot) also very suddenly died, though their counterparts who sat unplanted in those little black cups you buy them in are blooming...

The Real Question:

Hence, I need some help. I'm looking for inexpensive, very low-growing (under a foot), colorful flowers that can survive in a small balcony-sized window box, in almost complete shade, in an environment which goes from being extremely dry and hot to quite cold and very wet from week to week. Winters are pretty cold, though it doesn't snow much. Forgiving flowers would be good, too, since I'm pretty bad about watering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful flowers for shade and pots?

i understand your frutstration, as I have always kept plants on my balconies, patios, and porches of apartments. You would think the landlord would appreciate a tenant who respects his property enough to enhance it with plants and flowers! Anyway, if you patio is shaded, try impatiens (family name Balsamineaceae)and begonias. Ferns and hostas are also great choices for greenery. You mentioned ivy. Make sure that the ivy is healthy and isn't infested with insects or other disease. I would spray it with insecticidal soap just to be safe, as you don't want the ivy to transmit any problems to your new plants.

Make sure your plant containers have drainage holes and use good quality potting soil. Water a couple of times week or as needed. Your local nurseries will carry seasonal plants; but not much grows in winter time except evergreens. Good luck!

o
RE: Colorful flowers for shade and pots?

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 1:53

If you like color, sweet potato vine, vinca vine, and coleus would add a nice touch of color to your planters.

I also add landscaping stones to the bottom of my pots so the plant roots don't sit in water - it helps with the drainage.

Marigolds will stand up to the heat and cold very well though they may need sun.

If you aren't religious about watering, use a moisture retention potting soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here