Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Tomatoes?

Posted by jessiac_3 5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 15:53

Hello All,

My first year of gardening on my balcony was not a failure--not really a success, either, but most of the plants survived, despite my laziness to water them as often as I should have... Anyway, I am determined to do better next year. I also would like to try my hand at tomatoes (probably cherry tomatoes). The problem? We face North-East, and are on the second floor, so we have a solid deck above us, and not much direct sun except for in the morning. The sunniest place on my balcony is in front of the air conditioner vent, which blows out hot, dry air when the air conditioner is on. Would I be able to grow tomatoes here?

I saw this "Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter" on www.jungseed.com. I could hang that from the deck above us, but it gets pretty windy on our balcony. Is there any hope for me to grow tomatoes under these conditions? (I promise I'll be more diligent on the waterning next year...I bought a hose and sprayer from a local hardware store, so It will be easier for me to water my plants...) :o)

Any help anyone can provide will be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Here is a link that might be useful: Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Tomatoes?

I face NE, am on the 18th floor with a covered balcony, and have my tomatoes directly across from my bedroom window AC.

In my case, being up above the tree line, I get full sun all morning and being on the western corner of my building, I get some afternoon sun in summer in that corner, which is where I put my tomatoes. The downside is that the corner is very windy, so over the years, I've tried various things there to block the wind in lieu of me getting some plexiglass to put there. The poor shrubs there right now (a pee gee hydrangea and beautyberry) are sortof taking the brunt but have hung in there.

With respect to the AC... the past couple years I found that the hot air exhaust would eventually dessicate the plants directly across from it and would also encourage spider mites to live on them (these inturn yellowed the leaves even more and webbed the foliage and tomatoes). So this year I took one of my outdoor AC covers to hang just in front of the exhaust to divert it (it's not covering the AC but is about a foot in front). This has made a tremendous difference, although next year I think I'll find something bigger to go around the one side where my clematis is so the air isn't diverted there (it crisped up the clematis leaves).

I've never used the topsy turvey planters but a number of people who have posted here and elsewhere in the past have. I think it would probably work best with a dwarf plant or determinant but people have reported success with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here