Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cave76_gw

ipomoea batatas--'Blackie'

cave76
17 years ago

Am I doing something wrong?

In this forum I first heard about the *potato vine". I fell in love with "Blackie" and put one in a pot with some alyssum. It's doing fine and I love it, but it's not vining at all!

Isn't it supposed to vine or trail?

Comments (8)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

When I've grown them in the past, they started out trailing and then by about mid-late summer, they would suddenly wake up and start growing out of control with the vining and would continue to do so through fall. I have a feeling that what it is doing while sitting there trailing, is growing its oft-talked about root tubers and once those reach a certain size, then the vine above ground takes off.

• cave76
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, jenny,

Mine has been potted for about 2-3 months now. Shouldn't it be doing *something* by now?? LOL

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Not necessarily. I have purchased and planted some in April/May in the past and they didn't do that much until sometime in August with respect to actually vining - this with respect to 'Blackie'. The lime green 'Marguerite' one seemed to vine faster than 'Blackie' from what I have found. The temperatures may also affect it somewhat, but I still think the delay may be because they are busy forming tubers. You could try digging one up and see what the roots look like and maybe hit it with some fertilizer.

• containergirl
    17 years ago

Ya know, I've been really impatient with my potato vines, too. (Marguerite) These puppies are only now starting to seriously trail, and even so are only about 18-24 inches long, and taking their sweet time. I've been spotting them all over town, and many are bunching instead of trailing. I thought I was just being impatient but my neighbor said recently, "These things seem to bunch more than trail. They seem different than a few years ago." I was SO happy to hear him say that! So I have no idea, but it seems like a lot of us are getting impatient with the things!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

There's a restaurant across the street from where I work that has 'Marguerite' in a pot that is next to a containered Albert Spruce and it has vined, not only down to the ground, but up into the tree.

I bet if you dig them up, you'll see some 'taters in there! :-D

• cave76
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I guess I'll just have to be patient. Darn it!

Blackie does seem to show just a hint of starting to trail, but it's sure taking its time about it.

Thanks for your replies.

• sesameseed
    17 years ago

I just recieved some clippings of this beautiful vine, I am not quite sure if this blackie is a perennial or a annual.I think i am in zone 4. Would this be a problem? Thanks for any help. sesameseed

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

You could try growing it indoors during winter. These are tender, subtropical perennials.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County