Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ipomoea batatas--'Blackie'

Posted by cave76 z8No CA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 18:51

Am I doing something wrong?

In this forum I first heard about the *potato vine". I fell in love with "Blackie" and put one in a pot with some alyssum. It's doing fine and I love it, but it's not vining at all!

Isn't it supposed to vine or trail?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ipomoea batatas--'Blackie'

When I've grown them in the past, they started out trailing and then by about mid-late summer, they would suddenly wake up and start growing out of control with the vining and would continue to do so through fall. I have a feeling that what it is doing while sitting there trailing, is growing its oft-talked about root tubers and once those reach a certain size, then the vine above ground takes off.

o

Thanks, jenny,

Mine has been potted for about 2-3 months now. Shouldn't it be doing *something* by now?? LOL

o

Not necessarily. I have purchased and planted some in April/May in the past and they didn't do that much until sometime in August with respect to actually vining - this with respect to 'Blackie'. The lime green 'Marguerite' one seemed to vine faster than 'Blackie' from what I have found. The temperatures may also affect it somewhat, but I still think the delay may be because they are busy forming tubers. You could try digging one up and see what the roots look like and maybe hit it with some fertilizer.

o

Ya know, I've been really impatient with my potato vines, too. (Marguerite) These puppies are only now starting to seriously trail, and even so are only about 18-24 inches long, and taking their sweet time. I've been spotting them all over town, and many are bunching instead of trailing. I thought I was just being impatient but my neighbor said recently, "These things seem to bunch more than trail. They seem different than a few years ago." I was SO happy to hear him say that! So I have no idea, but it seems like a lot of us are getting impatient with the things!

o

There's a restaurant across the street from where I work that has 'Marguerite' in a pot that is next to a containered Albert Spruce and it has vined, not only down to the ground, but up into the tree.

I bet if you dig them up, you'll see some 'taters in there! :-D

o

Well, I guess I'll just have to be patient. Darn it!

Blackie does seem to show just a hint of starting to trail, but it's sure taking its time about it.

Thanks for your replies.

o

I just recieved some clippings of this beautiful vine, I am not quite sure if this blackie is a perennial or a annual.I think i am in zone 4. Would this be a problem? Thanks for any help. sesameseed

o

You could try growing it indoors during winter. These are tender, subtropical perennials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here