Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer you can 'throw'

Posted by cave76 z8No CA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 18:57

That sounds strange, I know. LOL

But I live on the ground floor with a "balcony" and railing.

Because my small balcony is too er, um small---- I've spread out to the horrible soil beyond, but which gets a rousing 10 minutes of watering a day by the management on a timer.

Regardless, I plant stuff that will take some abuse and throw pitchers of Miracle Grow out there when I have the energy.

My point: Is there some kind of pellet-y stuff that I can toss out there? (I'm not a too great at throwing. )

I know there is an 18-18-18 that might be right. But will it too any good just to toss it out? (The ground there is almost inaccessible to me)

Thanks if you have any out of the box ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer you can 'throw'

There's plenty of slow-release pellet products available to throw out there from just about all the big fertilizer companies. Just check the nearest nursery or big box store (eg., Osmocote has some and even Miracle Gro). In particular, there are formulations listed for "bedding" plants, etc., that were made to be used in the garden.

o

So, they can just be tossed on the ground? I have Osmocote but the directions, I think, say to scratch it in. ???

o

Whenever I've used it in my pots, I sprinkled on top most times. Sometimes I'll scratch it in the bigger containers, but it doesn't seem to make much difference other than aesthetically. Water will slowly dissolve the coating on the pellets releasing the fertilizer into the soil. I think the scratching in helps to keep the pellets from washing away or concentrating into one area in heavy rain (or heavy watering) and will better direct the fert to the soil, but I don't know how much difference that really makes in large areas. Sometimes people mistake the spent balls for insect eggs so in that case, I can see how scratching in might help in that instance! :-o

Peter's sells fertilizer granules that do the same as the Osmocote balls, and that might be an alternative to the balls for throwing purposes!

o
RE:: Fertilizer you can 'throw'

Thank you jenny---- I'll start practicing with my throwing arm. LOL

o

LOL! I bet you won't miss. :-p

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here