Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much can reflected sunlight compensate for lack of direct sun

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 11:56

Hello,

It looks like I might be moving into an apartment with a 1st floor balcony on the east side of my building. The street outside the balcony has lots of tall trees as well, so there's only direct sunlight for a short time each day, and lots of partial shade for most of the day. I was wondering whether it is possible to grow heat and sun-loving vegetable crops on this balcony if I hang up lots of reflective material around it- in particular, I was thinking of shiny mylar film which is extremely reflective, like a mirror basically. Can having reflective film right next to a container growing tomatoes or peppers allow said plant to grow in a shady place?

Yes, I know it is more reasonable to grow things that fit my climate + conditions, but these are the plants I love the most, so if it were possible to grow these, then that is what I would chose to grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much can reflected sunlight compensate for lack of direct

I wish I had better advice, but honestly I'd try to move to a south/west facing area instead. Due to condo renos I had to keep my plants inside the glass for 8 weeks and they didn't like not having the direct light, I think they would do terribly with reflective light (something about the light spectrum and the different things each kind of light provides).

If it's a matter of enjoying your plants, find a different home so you aren't miserable come summer. Otherwise, stick with shade-loving plants. Sorry. :(

o
RE: How much can reflected sunlight compensate for lack of direct

Hmm, a vegetable garden on a balcony facing east. The east exposure should not be any barrier to good growing...the morning sun that is at least 4 - 6 hours directly can grow most plants that can take full or partial sun.
Have you cleared such garden with the owners and your neighbors who might object to seeing such use on a ground floor. We all love plants, and color, but sometimes a vegetable garden is not considered something to show off.

Reflective material may take the place of sunlight in the growing season, but it can also burn if hit directly by hot sunlight. This too can happen in winter when combined with wind. Wind is the major cause of drying out of foliage and soil causing possible major increases of water use. Further barriers to such wind should be contemplated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here