Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Let's see some pics

Maybe you have some mature plants you've been tending for a while, or maybe you just got your first plant yesterday and like the way it looks on your balcony. Let's see what's going on while there's still time before Jack Frost visits anybody!

Took some pics 2 evenings ago, there was a weird orange light while the sun set, it was cool.

{{gwi:4140}}

{{gwi:4141}}

{{gwi:4142}}

4 - with hummingbird.
{{gwi:4143}}

{{gwi:4144}}

{{gwi:4145}}

7 - This pic is from this morning.
{{gwi:4146}}
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Let's see your pics of this years' balcony/porch/patio display!!

Comments (34)

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

the path to the chair ...gets narrower and narrower!

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

embedded..

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

'the hillside'

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

ready to quilt.

• PVick
    10 years ago

all so pretty! petrushka, you have some eye for design!
    my garden this year was a bust. even my beloved tomatoes failed to thrive. The only things that seemed to go gangbusters were the volunteers - petunias and 4 o'clocks galore!

{{gwi:4147}}

Did not take very many pics, but you can see them
    here:

PV

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

pv, love your clematis. does it overwinter? i tried it once long time ago on a SE balcony, but it did not survive.
    it must be south balcony? so many big flowers! and how did the 4-o-clocks seed ? they are huge. i remember seeing them in front gardens in astoria - taking over in profusion. not many people grow them.

This post was edited by petrushka on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 13:20

• PVick
    10 years ago

Hi petrushka! My balcony has a southern exposure; I get morning sun on the eastern end, then smack against the front railing for the rest of the day. The western end gets a little slanting sun in the afternoon.

Clematis are some hardy buggers! They overwinter very nicely; I just mulch them and pull them closer to the building wall. I have three types out there now - they are from 6-10 years old. I did have three more - 6 in all - but even I had to admit that was too many for my space. LOL!

Those 4 o'clocks just spit their seed everywhere! I just let most of them grow wherever they land. As for the petunias - they reseed like crazy! I found a healthy, bloom-crazy petunia growing out of the bottom hole of a pot. It was there for a long time before I noticed it - it was growing over the side of the balcony at floor level hidden behind its pot. Gardening is such fun!

I really like your "the hillside" arrangement.

purpleinopp - love the look in your last pic. That is some variety!! Do you have to bring your plants inside in the colder months? I'm so envious of all your hanging pots. I could get so much more out there if I could hang stuff!

mrsvbodner - checked out your video. Wow, you have a lot going on there! But it's so nice to be able to go out on the deck and pick your dinner! Did you harvest that okra yet?

PV

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, PV, yes most stuff has to come inside. Will be putting more hooks in the (hopefully really strong) ceiling soon! I think 4 can hang in the windows in my Mom's garage. It's not heated but they should stay above freezing in there. There's more about the weird thing I did with putting holes in the sides here.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Everyone's stuff is looking awesome! I need to post some more recent pics I guess. I think my last ones are from August!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunday I moved everything off the porch, swept, put it back where it was, and decided I didn't like it, and a lot of stuff was now getting too much sun with the sun creeping farther into the porch, so moved almost everything...

Before:
    {{gwi:4148}}
    After:
    {{gwi:4149}}
    Before:
    {{gwi:4150}}
    After:
    {{gwi:4151}}
    Before:
    {{gwi:4152}}
    After:
    {{gwi:4153}}
    Before:
    {{gwi:4154}}
    After:
    {{gwi:4155}}
    Just after (this is where the red-cushion chair was at first.)
    {{gwi:4157}}
    I whited-out my little pile of crap on the bottom shelf of that table... gloves, little shovels, u know the pile.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Purple, love seeing all your stuff & I did spot the hummer in flight in the 4th picture, great shot !!!!

Lovely flowers everyone :>)
    Christine

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Christine!

Took this pic this morning of some pots that were 'kicked off' of the front porch due to too much sun.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

My plants never made it outdoors this summer but I wanted to share anyway, plus I'm learning windows 7 so its good practice LOL and yes I know they need water desperately

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I dont know how to post multiple pics LOL...

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Nice, Christine! And there is always next year :)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Thanks julianna, I dont even know what version of windows I'm using LOL, I meant to post 8 not 7, senior moment. I have alot of re-potting to do come spring, all my plants grew like crazy this summer and they werent even outside.
    Christine

Original Author
    10 years ago

They look great, Christine! A shelf is a tiny balcony, IMVHO - definitely counts! In the 2nd pic, is that an avocado sprout on the right?

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Thanks purple, you do know your plants, it is an avocado that took forever to get going and I've already cut it back twice, it's so leggy and its not getting enough sun, I had planned for it to have sprouted in early summer but that didnt happen. I have 2 more sitting on shot glasses waiting to sprout. Do you think I should cut the leggy one way back again? Thanks Christine ;>)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but didn't expect to be correct - LOL! I don't know if pruning will change the appearance, or that it is leggy. The nodes are pretty far apart on this little guy that sprouted earlier this year, in plenty of sun outside. Just took this pic. I cut the tip off a few weeks ago, maybe a month, and it's responding by making a single new top, as far as I can see.

Original Author
    10 years ago

From the other side...

• christine1950
    10 years ago

It looks nice & full to me, I may just chop mine down for the winter & let it rest and see what happens next spring. Mine looks so sad compared to yours LOL....

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well my little sprout has more leaves, but the distance between nodes looks about the same. I think your little cutie looks great for being inside! IMO/E, 'real' trees are some of the hardest plants to keep happy in a pot.

There's another one in the front yard. Both of these sprouted when I literally threw the pits on the ground, not buried at all. I thought the squirrels would eat them. You might want to try that (probably in a pot so you don't have to dig it up in the fall,) next year if you *need* more plants still then. No idea if mine will survive winter... no room for them inside.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I just love how all your purples pop in the picture !!!!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Purple, omg, your place is looking so nice!

• balkong
    9 years ago

I am going to say, "I hope better late than never..." and post some pics from last year's garden (in hopes of encouraging myself to start thinking about a 2014 effort). I kind of disappeared from the forum, but have gotten so much inspiration from you guys the past 2 years!

• balkong
    9 years ago

Hmmm....how do you all get more than one picture per post uploaded?

• balkong
    9 years ago

July downpour - 2013

• balkong
    9 years ago

Those Ikea lights...love them.

• balkong
    9 years ago

July

• balkong
    9 years ago

Herbs corner - june?

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Balkong, beautiful collection, you have all of them looking so neat & in nice groupings. A few more weeks for me and I'll be moving stuff outside !!!

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    9 years ago

Is that Penn South? I have a good friend who lives there!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Those pics are awesome!! Enjoyed them very much.

This is what I've got for a balcony at the moment. We moved last week and the house needs some work, including replacing the front porch, so the plants are here under some trees so they're not in the way - or in danger of getting kicked around.

To put multiple pics in a single post, the pics need to be uploaded to a 3rd party photo hosting site first. The one I was using, Imageshack, is no longer free, or I've uploaded as many pics as it will allow for free, not sure which. But there's also Flickr, Photobucket, others. If you're interested, use the HTML code they provide to paste in the 'message' box. If you see the pics on preview, they'll be in your message. I know I'd definitely like to see some of this years' stuff when you are able. And everyone else too, of course!