Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best annuals for balcony?

Posted by shapiro 5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 21:01

My elderly relatives have a 10th floor balcony with one nice big urn (a gift from me!)

What types of annuals will do best on a windy balcony? they say that potted geraniums get bashed about pretty badly.

Thanks for advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best annuals for balcony?

I'm on the 18th floor and have grown as low-growers/mounders/trailing plants (non-vines):

petunias
alyssum
sweet potato vine (which grows more as a trailing plant)
wax begonias
impatiens
vinca vine (which will grow as a trailing plant)
verbena

Probably others over the years...

I think if they are concerned about the plant getting whipped around, they can look for creepers and/or ground cover types, trailers to go around the edge, and low mounding plants (where those would get continually pruned to keep them bushy and low). Something like an ornamental grass, sedge, or the dracena "spike", would give some tall interest in the center of the urn but would be better able to handle the wind.

o
RE: Best annuals for balcony?

How much sun do you have? AM or PM? My geraniums are pretty hearty and I'm 18 floors up. I'm S/SW. We get all sorts of abuse here in the city. All sorts of coleus do well; my hibuscius thrives. My canna start to look a little ratty after the September winds though. I tend to do canna and coleus together. I love the tall large leaves and the vines hanging down look dramatic. I also did a bunch of lemon balm/citronella this year. Great leafy green plant - grows like a weed. My coleus flowered this year too which was extra nice.

Avoid petunias unless your elderly relatives want to dead head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here