Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Putting things away for the season :)

chloeasha
10 years ago

Hi all! Well we started out well with our spring chatting, then summer we dropped off lol.

I've put my balcony garden to bed, basically. I haven't frosted yet, but we're likely moving in May/June, so i started sending plants to new homes, and brought in the tender keepers when I thought there could be nippy weather.

The new place, if we move, will have two balconies. Very exciting!

How about all of you?

Comments (10)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh, I need to decide which pots don't really need to come inside, either because all occupants are relatively hardy, or are just so many more copies of same stuff. Frost will be coming here soon, then the great migration begins. I pre-prepared yesterday by watering all pots at the same time, which will hopefully inspire the ants residing in some to seek other lodgings, not just move to the pot next door. Didn't realize it's supposed to be so cold tonight though. Hopefully the strong winds all day will dry stuff out significantly.

Your move sounds a lot more exciting than winterizing a plant collection. Are the balconies upper/lower, or on diff sides?

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish I knew where they were! I was doing pretty good to figure out the 2 balconies thing.

I think next week we're supposed to have a night of like 34. Eek!

10 years ago

Yes, I saw the same thing in the forecast here. Looks like next week is migration time. I really should start doing it now, but I probably won't! I know how I am. LOL! I'm just proud I haven't succumbed to the Pansies this year. I know I would enjoy them, but just don't want to spend $15 on them. More TC's sounds better.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ROFL are we like wallet twins? I, too, put off pansies this year in favor of TCs! I'm going to take my window boxes down, I think. That way I won't feel bad about them being empty.

10 years ago

GMTA! Sounds like the window boxes need to come down for the move anyway. Why don't I ever think to get pansy seeds in the spring then sow them around now, maybe a few weeks ago? Halloween seems like a good benchmark.

Do you even have room for more TC's? I don't, but know I won't care until I get them home. It's my shopper duty to get at least one new one so they'll keep responding to demand? That's my story & I'm sticking to it!

I already know I'm going to have 2nd, maybe 3rd row of hanging pots in most windows, staggered heights, probably ripping/cutting bigger holes in the sides of some to cram stuff that way. Also going to hang some in the 'crossfire' of light from 2 windows for a try. I'm sure I'll end up with plants that have different night-time vs. day-time positions again. (Not my fault the bed has sun shining on it all morning!!) Awesome to look at once I get it all situated though, I'm sure (or wouldn't bother, right?!) The novelty wore off in the last decade though. If I lived in a warm enough place, I'd leave all of the plants outside all year.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha! Nope, no more room but that seems so inconsequential until, like you said, the stuff actually comes home! To be honest, I have a ton of cuttings going now inside bigger pots. So my stuff isn't taking up as much room as it seems like it would.

I'm hoping that I get something east-facing so that I can kind of straddle the sun/part shade world with the balconies.

I thought about pansy seeds too! But yeah, seems late now.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i just brought my big jades in - they got thru a couple of nites of 34F while i was away - no problem seems, but this sat it's going down to 26F. i have a final push for ivies: i wash them up in very hot water like cyclamens - to kill off any and all. they seem to like the soak too.
    the non-stops begonias also have held up. now i will see if there are any tubers going after all this chill. just another experiment. they are still going strong , but i don't have room inside.
    my amaryllis still has giant green leaves - but it's finally in the bath tub in the dark, slowly forced to yellow and go dormant.
    things are finally winding down...

10 years ago

I keep buying more plants. Here's a group of mostly new ones, this thingie will fit on a windowsill. Put it together earlier today. No idea what the original purpose of the purple mesh thing would be. I knew it was a planter as soon as I saw it. I did put a piece of foil on the bottom, but otherwise, it's all open mesh. These dry-sters should like that.

There's nothing outside now except pots that don't need to come in, mini garden on front porch, and a couple pots that have ants. For now, sticking those in a shed on the colder nights has been OK. Looks like I'll have to repot them soon though, if they don't just go away. I'm going to forget them one night, I know how I am.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

this grey mesh is used for office baskets/containers of all sorts. i have some kitchen baskets from containerstore made out of it. i think it's a great lightweight bin for bark mixes for succulents! great idea!

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice container! I need to rearrange my inside haul some. I got 3 new begonias from a friend I help with her proofreading. So exciting! She ordered from Taylors for me. So I, too, keep acquiring more plants lol.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks