Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balcony gardening as a screen

Posted by condo_doc 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 22:27

We will be on the 3rd floor of a condo with nothwest exposure and need to block out the side of the clubhouse year round. Will need to have an effective screening year round, so I assume that evergreens are best. Will need about 6 feet high and about 8 feet long. No water outlet. Any suggestions regarding large containers, such as resin, and what plantings would accomplish that effect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balcony gardening as a screen

The problem might be the wind and its effect on an evergreen... How is the wind exposure in that spot? I know that I get most of my worst winds out of the W and NW and that can end up dessicating the needles on the small leaf evergreens or browining out the larger leaf types.

What might help is putting up a lattice screen and then perhaps putting evergreens in front of that, with the lattice helping to knock out alot of the prevailing wind. You might alternately consider planting a vine like a clematis to use for screening... and if you chose a type 1 clematis, those maintain the main stems and offshoot vines (blooming on previous growth), which can then be trained against the lattice for a permanent screening. Even the type 3, which gets cut back each late winter, can easily grow to recover the lattice or other support.

Resin containers work well and are lightweight. I have my largest shrubs, a tree, a clematis & a wisteria in that type. Most of the rest of my shrubs and perennials are in the larger (14"/16") foam containers and they have held up well so far. I have a few other shrubs, perennials, and bulbs in smaller plastic containers and those have also held up so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here