Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging Full-Sun Plants for Balcony

Posted by highfoods West Los Angeles (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 1:37

Hello. I live on the top level of a two-story apartment building. My apartment has a nice 4 x 12 ft. balcony. A large bottlebrush tree used to create privacy between me and the apartment building next door. The landlord cut down the beautiful bottlebrush and now I feel exposed. I would like to create privacy with some plant life, but I dont know what will thrive in hanging planters that are under full-sun for most hours of the day. The balcony faces west.

Any suggestions for plants is very appreciated. Thank you so much

Note: I tried to grow morning glory in hopes of training it upwards from the balcony railing to the roof (with strings of twine as guides) but it just wasnt thick enough and the plants took up too much floor space..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging Full-Sun Plants for Balcony

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. Does your balcony have a roof?

Succulents are the stars of the full-sun show, Sedums, Crassulas, Kalanchoes, Senecios. I make a 'wall of foliage' to make our porch more private too. Hanging pots at varying heights helps, as well as some floor plants coming up to meet the bottoms of the higher ones. Like Cannas, basil, rosemary, jasmine, Gardenia, and upright versions from the genuses mentioned for hanging plants too.

Moonflower vine has bigger leaves, might do more for ya.' Scented night-blooming flowers too.

o

Hi, the balcony does have a roof.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm wary of using upright plants because I have very limited floor space.

Hanging plants would be more ideal, so thanks for the ones you recommended. I'm thinking Senecios will be my best option because they seem to be the only ones capable of covering lots of vertical space.

I would want to hang these Senecios 'over' my balcony, which means the entire plant will be exposed to many hours of sun. Will these conditions be okay?

o

I'm having trouble picturing what you mean? Like lantern hooks sticking out from the sides? If you could add a pic or two to this discussion, more specific advice could be possible about arranging things. Full sun plants don't care if they're hanging or in a regular pot. And don't limit yourself to the length of the hanging arms that come with a pot. You can use steel wire to make them as long as you want, though any increase in length increases the distance wind can blow pots sideways, so may not be practical near a railing, post, or where people are sitting.

It sounds like you could use some pots with holes in the sides. Then you don't have to wait for plants to spill all the way over the edge, down the sides, eventually dangling below. You could cut holes in plastic pots you already have or get one already that style, like this, or this, or this, or this. (Holy cow, how did I not encounter this last site before? I have a hero and didn't even know it!!)

I thought so many of the pics in this search were inspirational too. Hanging pots are what I prefer for anything reasonable to put in one. The wind doesn't knock these over! Probably a concern of yours also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here