Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does well in cold, heat, wet, dry,

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 23:24

I'm in zone 7, Maryland and it gets cold in the winter, near 0 degrees Fahrenheit and it gets hot in the summer, sometimes around 100 Fahrenheit. We have cycles of drought to lots of rain for days but usually normal moisture.

I'm tired of refilling my window boxes with annuals every growing season so I was hoping that someone could recommend a plant that can stand up well to all these conditions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does well in cold, heat, wet, dry,

Sempervivums = cold

Cactus = cold down to 20F but dry , loves heat =plus ample water
Soil must be fast draining
Sansevieia heat, + ample water

Sansevieria when cold below 55F no water.

No leaves stop watering,

Stapelia,
Madagascar= must have winter warmth

Haworthis, and Gasteria, can tolterate temps down to 20F winter growers. Little water in the summer months when dorment

Keep all plants free of dead leaves on the bottom, less chance of rot. Don't try to forse growth on any plant. In doubt don't water.
Wet = Tropical plants, bulbs gone dormant do not water, they need to rest.

Norma

This is just a guide of general information.

o
RE: What does well in cold, heat, wet, dry,

I meant, what is ONE plant that does well in ALL of those situations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here