Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fastest Growing Bonsai?

Posted by nevada89005 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 6:29

Hello all!

I was curious about what might be the best plant to use as a bonsai and get the fullest results in the least amount of time? I know you can't rush art, but I'm just a bit curious.

I am assuming a willow or poplar would work best, but I'll wait for the experts. ( :

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fastest Growing Bonsai?

Bonsai like you said can't be rushed it is a long time consuming art form. But if you start with a corkscrew willow you can have a start of a bonsai in a couple of years. By start I mean a promising tree that will look like a bonsai a lot sooner than a Maple tree which will take several years, the nice thing about Corkscrew Willow is that you can take a cutting that already looks good and start it indoors this time of year. I have started about 20 in the den now. After you have them rooted, and later in the year you can move them outside. Hope this helps.

o

I am always amazed at how long growing and caring for these trees takes!

o

Redwood is extremely fast growing, so fast that it is usually not reccomended for bonsai.

o

I thought this was the EXCHANGE froum.

o

ok im a bonsai noob but i like the style and i need a small but uniquie shape

o

I have a ficus retusa and it grows really fast. I have to trim it once ever 2-3 months.

o

• Posted by penz none (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 16:06

Bonsai growing have a lot to do with patience so I recommend you to buy a full grown bonsai or at least a prebonsai (a bonsai on its early stage). There are many cheap options out there. It'll be a rewarding experience because bonsai caring can be as fun as bonsai training. Cheers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow a Bonsai

o

Fast growing bonsai require more care than slower growing bonsai, including watering, pinching and root pruning more often. These varieties of plants make shaping and twisting the bonsai much easier and the plants grow quickly enough to cover any trimming mistakes eg.Ancient Bristlecone and Bald Cypress (taxodium distichum)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here