Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Outdoor Satsuki Azalea

Posted by jan27 WI (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 9:38

I just received my bonsai Azalea by mail from my son for Mothers Day. The outside temp. is in low to mid 40s. Night will be even lower temps this weekend with possible snow. Should I still put out on covered porch which is eastside & cover at night, or keep in house until temps. are warmer. Plant has beautiful dark green leaves with a few pink flowers. It was grown in MS which I'm sure has warmer temps. Thanks for helping. My plants do well but this is a new & very different challenge for me. My son obviously has faith in me! Thanks so much for advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Outdoor Satsuki Azalea

The answer depends on the type of azalea. Some are more cold-hardy than others. In general, azaleas will be fine in the 40s. Even a hard frost, although it may damage or discolor some leaves, won't kill the plant.

However, there are some species that can be affected, especially in the spring. What can happen is that an azalea that has successfully wintered in sub-freezing temperatures will begin to sense the onset of spring and run its sap before nature has finished sending sub-freezing temperatures at it. This means the bark has fluid transferring within it as the plant gears up for spring that was not present during the winter. Then, if a late freeze occurs, the sap freezes which kills the bark, literally tearing it up at the cellular level.

The results of this damage are not immediately apparent. It may take months or even seasons to notice, but you will see the bark, mainly near the soil surface, start to split and/or peel away from the trunk. That means it has been damaged. If the area of damaged bark completely girdles the trunk, everything north of the girdle will die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here