Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: New member

Posted by softballcoach South Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 18:35

Hi. I am a new member. I found this forum searching about royal poncianna bonsai. I bought a bonsai recently that was thought to be a poncianna but through research, it is a nice Jacaranda bonsai old enough to bloom. South Florida has thousands of royal poncianna trees currently in bloom. I passed such a tree today and dug up a nicely shaped "pup" about 10" tall most likely from a fallen seed. I brought it home, snipped the long tap root, trimmed back the branches and potted it. It has a nice shaped trunk with a natural twist at the bottom. What are the survival chances? I am very vigallant in monitoring my new find. What are the chances of this specemine blooming in the coming years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: New member

Hey softballcoach, I'm new here too and by no means am I a bonsai expert. I can tell though that I have a several plantings of Royal Ponciannas (from seeds) I'm also attempting to bonsai. A couple I've had over 6-7 years now and still no blooms. I don't know if they ever will bloom either. I'm still hoping, but so far no luck. I'd love to have a Jacaranda too. I planted one in my yard, but I'm too far north (Sanford area) and the cold killed it after 3 years of freezes.

o
RE: WANTED: New member

About blooming: every plant that has the genetic potential to bloom can. What a lot of people don't realize is that it's not the root structure or soil really that affects blooms. Remember, blooms are the plant's way of reproducing. Unless a plant get the right signals it simply won't - what every plant needs to signal that it is the right time to bloom is a specific temperature range and a particular length of day and night. Predominantly indoor plants suffer particularly from incorrect ratios of the latter. If you can figure out day/night length of the plant in the area that it thrives with best and supply that, it should bloom. Make sure that it is getting both full light and complete darkness too though, many people forget that plants need a nighttime too: this is when most of their flowering and fruiting processes occur. Hope that helps!
-Static

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here