Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeblek

WANTED: College Dorm Bonsai.

zeblek
13 years ago

Ive been reading these forums for quite sometime now and havent found the answer to my question so finally made an account to post my question. I'll be going to college here shortly and living in a dorm room with one window. I know that all bonsai's need sufficient light sooner or later and to avoid over and underwatering. I keep hearing that ficus are one of the best to grow indoors but I wanted to know if a flowering white serrisa japonica would be just as easy as a ficus midnight benjamina? Right now im stuck between these two types of bonsai but would like to know an opinion from experienced bonsai growers which bonsai would be easiest in a college dorm or if they both are pretty neutral?

Comments (4)

• zeblek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any suggestions?

• gardener_guy
    13 years ago

Sorry, you are in the wrong forum. Go to "Forums" at top of page. Then go way down to "Bonsai". click it then scroll down to bottom of page. Enter your question there.

Gardener Guy

• mike423
    13 years ago

I would definitely suggest a Ficus as they are very forgiving when it comes to under or over watering and while they prefer a good amount of light can fair with low to moderate amounts (Perfect Beginner Bonsai's). Serissa's on the other hand are very finicky in fact their the total opposite. They have a tendency to lose all there leaves when they receive to much or to little light or to much or to little water. They also will do so when they are moved form one room to another sometimes. I would definitely recommend a Ficus . Any type of ficus will do (Their are over 2,000 sub-species). I have both of the above mentioned as of right now and am planning on growing a "Banyan" Style Ficus soon as well which grow aerial roots. Probably with a Ficus benghalensis or Ficus virens. Good luck

-Mike

• olddoctorjoe
    12 years ago

THERE IS ONLY ONE FOOL PROOF PLANT FOR THE INDOOR BONSAI.AS I TELL MY STUDENTS ENEN IF YOU COULD GROW IT IN LOW LIGHT ,SOMEBODY HAS TO WATER IT WHEN YOU GO HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS. GET A NICE SIZE JADE PLANT WITH SMALL LEAVES(LOOK IN WALL MART OR LOWES ),PUT IT IN A POT WITH FINE GRAVEL ,AND AND A ABIT OF SCREENED PINE BARK,BINGO,YOU HAVE YOUR COLLEGE BONSAI WHICH WILL LOOK GREAT BY GRADUATION.YOU CAN GO AWAY FOR 4 TO 5 MONTHS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WATERING .
    WHEN YOU GET TO COLLEGE LOOK UP THE LOCAL BONSAI CLUB,OR BONSAI NURSERY AND GET CONNECTED. I WISH I HAD LEARNED ABOUT BONSAI AT YOUR AGE.YOU HAVE A WHOLE LIFE TIME TO GROW TREES,AND EVEN THAT IS TOO SHORT. I STARTED BONSAI AT AGE 41 AND AT 83 `M STILL LEARNING, READBOOKS GOOD LUCK
    OLD DOC

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022