Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: College Dorm Bonsai.

Posted by zeblek Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 15:56

Ive been reading these forums for quite sometime now and havent found the answer to my question so finally made an account to post my question. I'll be going to college here shortly and living in a dorm room with one window. I know that all bonsai's need sufficient light sooner or later and to avoid over and underwatering. I keep hearing that ficus are one of the best to grow indoors but I wanted to know if a flowering white serrisa japonica would be just as easy as a ficus midnight benjamina? Right now im stuck between these two types of bonsai but would like to know an opinion from experienced bonsai growers which bonsai would be easiest in a college dorm or if they both are pretty neutral?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: College Dorm Bonsai.

Any suggestions?

o

Sorry, you are in the wrong forum. Go to "Forums" at top of page. Then go way down to "Bonsai". click it then scroll down to bottom of page. Enter your question there.

Gardener Guy

o

I would definitely suggest a Ficus as they are very forgiving when it comes to under or over watering and while they prefer a good amount of light can fair with low to moderate amounts (Perfect Beginner Bonsai's). Serissa's on the other hand are very finicky in fact their the total opposite. They have a tendency to lose all there leaves when they receive to much or to little light or to much or to little water. They also will do so when they are moved form one room to another sometimes. I would definitely recommend a Ficus . Any type of ficus will do (Their are over 2,000 sub-species). I have both of the above mentioned as of right now and am planning on growing a "Banyan" Style Ficus soon as well which grow aerial roots. Probably with a Ficus benghalensis or Ficus virens. Good luck

-Mike

o

THERE IS ONLY ONE FOOL PROOF PLANT FOR THE INDOOR BONSAI.AS I TELL MY STUDENTS ENEN IF YOU COULD GROW IT IN LOW LIGHT ,SOMEBODY HAS TO WATER IT WHEN YOU GO HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS. GET A NICE SIZE JADE PLANT WITH SMALL LEAVES(LOOK IN WALL MART OR LOWES ),PUT IT IN A POT WITH FINE GRAVEL ,AND AND A ABIT OF SCREENED PINE BARK,BINGO,YOU HAVE YOUR COLLEGE BONSAI WHICH WILL LOOK GREAT BY GRADUATION.YOU CAN GO AWAY FOR 4 TO 5 MONTHS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WATERING .
WHEN YOU GET TO COLLEGE LOOK UP THE LOCAL BONSAI CLUB,OR BONSAI NURSERY AND GET CONNECTED. I WISH I HAD LEARNED ABOUT BONSAI AT YOUR AGE.YOU HAVE A WHOLE LIFE TIME TO GROW TREES,AND EVEN THAT IS TOO SHORT. I STARTED BONSAI AT AGE 41 AND AT 83 `M STILL LEARNING, READBOOKS GOOD LUCK
OLD DOC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here