Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justeen_bonsai

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justeen_bonsai
18 years ago

I tried to do root-over-rock with it and a couple hours later, it started wilting like this! So I took everything off and it has just stayed how it was before I took it all off for hours! I still want to do a root-over-rock with it though. When would I be able to do that and what's wrong with it?!

P.S. It's a little hard to see.

P.S.S. I know it was in the root growing stages of development.

Image link:

Comments (6)

• rjj1
    17 years ago

I can give no help based on quality of photo.

Did you plant the roots wrapped around the rock in soil for a year or so before doing this?

I wrap roots around a rock and tie them to the rock. Then plant the wrapped roots for a period of time. The roots are slowly exposed to sun over time as they adhere to the rock.

Once roots have grown long enough to raise the rock out of the soil, it's time to repot.
    {{gwi:1083}}
    {{gwi:1084}}
    {{gwi:1085}}
    {{gwi:1086}}
    {{gwi:1087}}
    Here is the plant today.
    {{gwi:1088}}

randy

• justeen_bonsai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did just what you said, well, more like showed, me. It actually is living! It's not wilting (yet)! I've heard you should keep it like this for a year, even better, two years. Is that right?

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Yes, one year is good, two is probably better.

Looks like I left out the photo of the root over rock potted in soil. I only left mine for a year. If I had left it longer the roots would have attached better to the rock than they did.
    {{gwi:1089}}
    randy

• bonsaibaby
    17 years ago

I have a evergreen or Juniper Bonsai - I was told it was an indoor plant so it has been indoors for about 4 months. The tips started to turn brown about a month ago - I pinched these and noticed small webs between the tips. I took this to a garden store and they told me it was spider mites - and to hose down the treee to get the webs off thento spray it with soapy water. I jsut did this today - the tree is about 70% brown (before the spraying) Is this tree a goner? What can I do to help it or is it too late?

• rjj1
    17 years ago

The $100.00 question is do you still keep this outdoor tree indoors :-) ?

I would move it outdoors in shade for a while and see how it does. IMHO there is probably not much left worth saving if 70% is brown. Brown under low light conditions indoors usually means has been dead for quite a while.

How much of the tree has supple soft green foliage when you touch it? If it is hard and crumbles when touched, it's dead.

randy

• bonsaibaby
    17 years ago

Hi Randy:
    Thanks for the response. I did take it outdoors after the spraying (was I ok in spraying - does it sound like spider mites?) I have been checking (2 days now) no new webs and as of two days ago there was some new growth - little sprigs coming out here and there out of the current darker green. There is life but do you think it's too far gone - would you pinch or trim off the brown or let it be and see what happens. This is what I get for not doing my research on the care of Bonsai - before purchasing! Now I am on a mission to try to save this puppy! I live in San Francisco where summer can be pretty cold - now its about 62 and gloomy/foggy - should I keep it outdoors even when it is really cold (45-60) or should I take it into my garage at night to protect it?
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH