Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkarl

Help resolving conflicting advice on my Chinese Elm

Wkarl
10 years ago

Hey all, first tree and first post, and as seems to often be the case I'm having issues.

I tried to do my research beforehand. I got a tree known to be pretty hardy and tolerant of a broad range of temperatures, I bought from a reputable nursery that specializes in Bonsai and seems to be pretty knowledgeable, I spent plenty of time learning how to repot and not to overwater or overfertilize, etc. But a week after repotting I started to see some leaves wilting, and since then it's only gotten worse. It looks like it might lose all of them.

From what I've read and what the folks at the nursery said it sounds like it's probably shock. The problem is I'm getting contradictory advice as to the prognosis and how to handle it. Should I expect to lose all the leaves or would that be a sign of trouble? Is direct Dallas sunlight too much for it, or does it need to be in the type of light it will be in permanently to avoid worsening the shock? Should I mist the leaves (what's left of them) or is that asking for fungus? Should I move it into the shade for part of the day and direct sun for the morning, or should I not move it at all?

The tree is only a few years old--I wanted one that would give me a chance to learn the basics. Before repotting it was budding new leaves at a steady rate but it was hardly filled out yet--only a few shoots had fully developed leaves on them and there were maybe fifteen or so in the process of emerging. During the repotting I cut one obviously dead root and trimmed back another that didn't look so healthy. So far the tree passes the scratch test just fine. If it would help I can probably upload some photos, just let me know.

Please help me save my little tree! I already love it too much to lose it.

Sponsored