Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmy84

Bonsai, Chinese pepper, help please

hmy84
16 years ago

I received my bonsai as a graduation present from my brother at the end of April. My bonsai was doing fine, the leaves got a little drupy a couple times, but after watering they'd perk back up. I was keeping it inside, but on Sunday May 20th, I took it to the Tallahassee bonsai club and they re-potted it for me and recommended I put it outside, where it can get some sun, preferably morning sun. My screened in back porch gets a bit of morning sun and that's about it, so I put it out there.

Maybe that Wednesday or Thursday after that Sunday he looked a bit drupy again, so I watered him, (like usual, where the water would come out the bottom), but still by the end of the week it didn't look much better. I called my brother and he suggested it might not be getting enough sun, so I moved it to a sunnier spot on the side of my house. Still it didn't look good, so I did another suggestion from my brother, by putting it in the sink and filling the sink with water (but not over the pot lip or anything). Well, nothing seems to be working, I really don't want it to die and I feel like it might already be too late.

I've attached a pictures from 5/29. The leaves and small branches could be snapped off with just a brush of the finger right now and the leaves are very, very dry and turning brown.

I can only think that maybe when it was re-potted, the original soil was mixed with a mixture of little rocks (that's what they look like). We used the same soil because it seemed it was resently re-potted and the soil was still good, but maybe not enough soil was left and too much rock was put in and now the soil is not holding water enough or long enough for the plant to get enough water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!Thanks!!!!