Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Elm

Posted by simsedward Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 17:29

I am living in Southeast Michigan and have recently purchased my first bonsai - a Chinese Elm. When I bought the tree, the lady at the bonsai shop sold it to me as an indoor tree. I brought it home and set it in a sunny windowsill. I've had it about a week and many of the leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. I have read that taking the tree outdoors may help; however, the outside temperature is cooler than the indoor temperature at this point. Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I am hoping this tree will make it. It still has a lot of green foliage. I moved it out of the windowsill at one point because I thought it was getting too much sun and the leaves stayed green for a few days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Elm

Simsedward, when you bought the tree was it inside? Chinese elms are out side trees but can be brought inside for longer times than most decisouse trees.probably what you have is a tree that is trying to go dorment because that is what they do . leave it outside watch for new buds popping where the leaves are falling.keep wartered maybe fertilize but fifst check the soil it is in see if it drains good hope this helps john

o
RE: Chinese Elm

Let us know what is going on with the elm tree ok??? john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here