Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willow

Posted by moulman 6a (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 17:39

I tried to post 2 pics in one message, but couldn't see how to do it. This is my Salix Integra from the nursery

Image link: Willow (47 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willow

That's nice - lots of potential! What you need to do now is choose which branches to keep (hint - an uneven number is traditional), and decide if you want to chop some any, or all of them short and get ramification - more twiggy growth, more foliage, more potential branches. Right now it's a really nice ... shrub, but if you want it to be a 'bonsai' (though some say the point is that a bonsai should be a tree :-) and look older, etc., some work is definitely needed. Good trunk though.

o
RE: Willow

OK.
So how big is necessary for a trunk to impart the look of an old tree? I intend to keep this tree (shrub) under 24" total.
It is currently 20" - so based on the total height versus dia. that I have studied - the ratio at 20" should be around 3" trunk.
The trunk is now 2 1/2". If I chop it back to just the vertical leader - remove all the branches..... then I am betting on the vertical leader to catch up and not have a drastic change from the current main trunk to the next section which is very mmuch smaller in dia.

This seems pretty iffy.

BTW - most of the pics I have seen of bonsai that have been proudly displayed in club competitions (and have won awards) have incredibly out of scale, thick trunks - If this is the acceptable "old tree image" that most are looking for, then they really need to spend some time in the wilderness looking at real trees. I am not looking to waste my time developing a bonsai that is an image of some mystical impossibitlity of real life. I am looking to sculpt a realistic image of a real life "old growth".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here