Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_moose

Not for the Faint Hearted - Summer repot - JWP

tim_moose
18 years ago

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/854203

This is a slightly edited version of the picture commentary that appear on the photo album of this tree with some additional notes.

All the people I've spoken to 'in the know' reckon a few weeks out of the sun and it'll be fine.

'After extensive reading I made the decision to re-pot this JWP in late June 2005. The tree is strong, had been pruned in winter 2004 and detail wiring has been done to most shoots recently.

The decision was made based on my own impatience to do something with this tree as much as by USA pine expert Vance WoodÂs recent 'on-line' writings re summer repotting of pines and reference to other learned sources. Logic also dictates that a tree growing strongly should be able to take at least light-duty treatment of this sort.

The original potting 'soil' was large yellow kanuma and akadama, was quite dry, came away quite easily and had a fluffy off-white appearance (mycelium fungus I presume). A light root prune was undertaken to almost! fit the round pot which is a mid green with a mottled glaze. 70% of the old soil was added with some fresh akadama with a pinch of Miracid added.

The tree was mossed for the pics.

The pot is probably too large but I have smaller version just like this one. The tree possibly needs to sit a bit straighter and lower in the pot.

Rather than the rugged tree image often employed with the JWP I saw a happy little tree growing on a hill somewhere.

Initial training was accomplished with the advice of Richard Fish as taught by Nobuyuki Kajiwara and I thank them both.'

Additional notes:-

i. A virt with a more rounded crown is on the right.

ii. Looks good the other way round as well which was the original styling position. Repotting has revealed a tasty nebari detail.

iii. In this view the what was the loopy left side branch is a handily placed back branch esp. for V. Wood ;-)

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: JWP Album

Comments (4)

Sponsored