Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_moose

Ligustrum - Thanks for the Tree and the Idea Fish

tim_moose
18 years ago

Have formulated a plan.

The next job is to create a shari on the bend of the "blown over" tree on the left.

Thanks for the tree and the idea Emp. Fish.

Sorry about the pointy stump - wasn't working for me.

Comments invited but no obligation.

Tim

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Tree

Comments (13)

• mark_rockwell
    18 years ago

I think you've worked it out quite well, although I would go easy on applying any more shari anywhere else. It is overdone on most trees. A little can go along way, especially with broadleafed trees. The 'blown-over" tree needs none, IMO, as it would make it conform with the other two trees, making a matched set. I think it would be more natural with no shari on the last tree.

Careful with the "story" for the tree. This is one of my pet peeves ;-). Sure the tree should tell a "story," but that story will be different for everyone viewing the tree. It should speak for itself. This tree does. Doesn't really matter what killed the trunk portions, could have been most anything. The result is the same no matter what the cause--dead wood in congruent cohesive arrangement, speaks of some real hardship.

I've found that some people make up elaborate "stories" to justify silly, ill-concieved and badly executed designs.

This is certainly NOT the case here, though.

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thankyou Mark.

More of a game plan or a thought to keep in mind when working on it if you like than a commentary to accompany the tree.

The main trees need some branch re-building and "maturing up" which is in progress.

I also kind of like the idea of leaving some of the little sucker shoots as they appear - new life blah, blah, blah.
    (not an original idea I know)

You'll see I took your advice on the big stump and as you've never given me a bum steer yet I will take it on the additional shari as well.

Thanks again.

Pot suggestion? I have a grey/brown unglazed oval that may suit but is probably too formal but I don't think it wants to be too rugged either.

Time yet.

The round plastic rivet is so I can style in the round without the pot orientation disturbing the lines too much as I haven't quite decided if it should go a bit clockwise from this view.

Thanks to Fish again and I hope he feels I have done some justice to it after a lot of thought.

• Emperor__Fish
    18 years ago

Tim,

I think that you have done a fantastic initial styling job here. The design is much more coherent now than it was before. As Mark says, the proof of that, is that the story behind the trees is not needed - it tells the viewer where it is growing, even with the training pot, (which is the whole point of bonsai).

Slab pot, mounded earth, trees placed to the right gets my vote for the future.

Great work mate - wanna trade it for a slightly used lantern??

All the best,

Fish.
    PS I'll be up at Capel Manor tomorrow if you are about? Master is doing a display, so I can't pass up the opportunity to sneer. Pics to follow with luck.

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

High praise indeed Fish and genuinely appreciated.

I struggled for months but couldn't see a crediable way to incorporate the large stump with my current abilities so I've reduced it to a ground level stump.

You'll see some of the big branches and height has gone and there's loads of shoots to work with.

Need to complete the picture and with the leftward trend a position on the right of a slab has a great deal of appeal. perhaps 20 deg clockwise as well so the trees recede a bit maybe.

Going to have to pass on Capel Manor - spousely pressure. (one weekend off in 4 thanks to the NHS and I did all day yesterday at a rugby tournament) I AM determined to go for a "lig" one year though. She'll/I'll have to be content with a few local garden show type things today where there is some bonsai strangely enough:-)
    After much though and anguish, I've repotted the, JWP in mid summer - yipes! More out of frustration than anything else.

Possibly a big risk with my second most expensive purchase but all the in-depth reading I have been doing (inc. V. Wood in the other place) pursuaded me it was worth a go.

I'm keeping a full log of the progress and knowing that you've had some pine "situations" this year my experiences may be of benefit.

I have some pics but finding a site big enough to post it inc the commentary is a problem

There's also a chap on another forum asking about JWPs and I would ask your permission to post him a Bef and Aft of Big Bertha. I was going to credit you as "up and coming British designer ............" with your name if you're happy for me to do so.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Tim

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just in case you're lurking Vance or for anyone else who may be interested.

After a tour of the local garden show the concensus of opinion amongst 3 bonsai growers/sellers and 3 bonsai societies is that mid summer is a perfect time to re-pot Japanese White Pine in the UK at least. On the question of being a better time than spring was split 50:50 .

• Emperor__Fish
    18 years ago

Tim,

Post me the Bertha stuff.

Ref the mid-summer thing with JWP... you want to do it late summer, after the new growth has hardened - about late August here.

Regards,

Fish.

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You want me to send you the Bertha pics yes?

re: JWP

A done deed. Ppeople say its a bit early but feel there shouldn't be any real problems if I mist regularly and keep it out of the sun for a few weeks.

I managed to post a pic on here.

Fingers crossed.

• Emperor__Fish
    18 years ago

Tim,

"Up and coming British designer...", that would make master laugh his head off.

I'm not sure that I understand the bertha reference - do you want anything from me? I was just after a link to the info if you can...?

That JWP of yours looking good also btw.

Regards,

Fish.

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I'm asking for permission to post the pics of BB on the net giving you the credit as an illustration of how to deal with JWP as there is a decided lack on info on the species.

I've emailed you the pics off my PC but haven't posted them on the net or other forum as I wouldn't do that without your permission hence the question and therefore cannot link you.

I'll happily stick up all my old load of c**p but wouldn't want people thinking BB was mine.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

That looks staggeringly good Tim!

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Very much "early doors" Larry and if you dig up that hedge of yours this winter you could have one just like it!

:-)

Was kicking myself last week. The elderly lady 2 doors up had her front privet hedge dug up and replaced by a fence as the hedge was getting too much to trim.

Could of had 7 or 8 just like this one for free.

DOH!

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

You know that happened to me too!
    A few doors up they got a new wall, but had to dig up the hedge first, and by the time I saw it
    it was all dried up and skipped, baking in the sun!
    How irresponsible to dig up a privet hedge without telling me! ;0

• james282
    18 years ago

Hey Tim,

I like the direction your taking with this group. I have some elm groups I'm thinking of doing something similar too.

James

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH