Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_moose

More on James' Landscape

tim_moose
18 years ago

Dudley Dooright here,

I did a little experiment whereby I superimposed the so called "Golden Rectangle" over the pic.

This allegedly gives you aesthetically pleasing points to place main features and a general "trend" line.

The whole piece has the feel of a slope down to the right (or up to the left) and this is set up by the leading edge of the rock visible in the foreground.

In this thesis, and depending on the rectangle's orientation, your main focal point should either be the first tree on the left or the cascade in the bottom right with a general diagonal trend.

This may explain a bit more clearly why for instance, the rock pinnacle on the right side appears to be of place and why the "sugar loaf mountain" feature in the centre and the tree behind it are too tall as they break the trend line in a major way.

I've posted a pic of the best look in my belief.

I actually have one of these golden triangles etched in black onto clear perspex and can size up my tree plans with it by moving it back or forward in my field of vision to get a best fit. Being transparent I can flip it anywhichway of course.

Jeez- how sad is that?

Not the "be all and end all" but it will certainly tell you if something is way out of line in some circumstances.

Tim

Image link:

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting