Comments (15)

• Zburkett
    18 years ago

James, I have enjoyed all of your trees. Zack

• james282
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Zack.

Is it me or has this forum just about died?

James

• Matt_Ouwinga
    18 years ago

James,

Yea, it seems so. I really liked posting here and remember coming here years back when I was still a teen and seeing countless posts and replies.

On the other hand, its nice to see other bonsai forums doing well in terms of 'bonsai posting' on the web in general still seems very strong.

I believe there are many factors about this site that we realize why the posts just aren't coming in.

I see you are making a great effort! I posted here often last year and beginning of this year...maybe we can revive things?

regards,

Matthew Ouwinga

• count_d
    18 years ago

I've posted a number of images with only a few responses. Pics take time and effort to post and when you don't get much feedback, you think why bother.

Other forums on this site do well, but not the Bonsai.

• james282
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm guilty as charged. With work, taken care of bonsai, other obligations, relationships, it's difficult to commit enough time to sustain even more relationships! In plain english, I'm lazy and selfish! In other words, I see the problem. Now i've got to work on the solution.

There is another bonsai site where one dosn't have to downsize one photographs to post. However there a lot of people there just like me! I get to check on them [not by name) I've had at least 60 people look at my posts of 6 trees. Got one comment, one rating out of all of them, and I didn't agree with there RATEING!!! Oh well.

James

• Krys
    18 years ago

James,
    That's a beautiful tree. I'd like to know what it is.
    Re the lack of response and/or postings, I suppose I'm one of the guilty ones. I do check the Forum regularly but don't always have anything constructive to say since I only work with tropical trees.
    Also, I only post when I have a problem I can't solve. I do seem to get plenty of good advice. Sometimes it only takes one or two replies to solve an issue and then the post dries up.
    I enjoy seeing everybody's photos and have just recently posted some of my own.
    Courage!
    Krys

• james282
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Krys,
    thanks. I'll look forward to your posts.
    It's a juniper procumbans na na.

I also forgot, lazy and selfish dosn't really apply all the time. There just aren't enough hours in a day.

James

• james282
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Matt,

We'll see if it can be done, along with whomever else might join us.

I'm still waiten for Mark to post. I wonder who'll die from old age first before he does?

James

• jonny
    18 years ago

James,

Just dropped in from another Bonsai Forum, you're right this forum has changed. I use to come here every other day or so, but when everyone started leaving, I jumped ship too. I came back to see if anyone replied to my Nea Buxifolia post...zero action...

Jonny

P.S. Always have enjoyed the pictures of your trees.

• bwaynef
    18 years ago

James,

I too am a ship-jumper, but I check back in every week or so. I think I've commented elsewhere, but maybe not on this tree.

I wonder how it'd look if you removed/shortened/changed the lower right branch. Maybe make up for the removal with a bit more added emphasis on the right rear-facing branch for depth.

Wayne F

• amuke
    18 years ago

it´s like one of the trees from Lord of the rings, resting on a rock
    how old is this bonsai?

• killawale1979
    18 years ago

hi im new to the site and reasonably new to the world of bonsai i have three (two figs and a serissa) i love your pic but was wondering how you got the dead branches i have so much to learn!!!!

• bonsai_moss
    18 years ago

Oh my........ Beautiful !!!! Nice job on your "leaning Nana". I particularly love the dead wood that goes right down the trunk and into one of the major roots. Spectacular.

How long have you personally had this leaning nana juniper tree? Did you train it? Looks absolutely fantastic. I can easily understand why this one is one of your favorites.

How does your Leaning Nana do in the hot summer TX heat, as well as the cool TX winters?

This is in regards to your pic stored at bonsai/gal0901024631721

Thanks for sharing your bonsai pictures! Keep em' coming.

David

zone 5b
    NH, usa

• pinetree30
    18 years ago

Beautiful tree, and interesting as well. The dead wood extending up a major root and the trunk illustrates "sectorial architecture", the organization of the tree into semi-independent sectors. I'll bet the dead branch sticking out above is attached to the dead trunk sector, and is part of it.

• james282
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks fellas,
    as far as too "how old this tree is" Amuke, it's aprox. 10 yrs.. The purchase of this tree was aprox.3 yrs. ago. It was semi upright nursery stock purchased from "Dream Gardens" in Richardson TX. I decided on the style, jin and shari placement. I did the jin where I wanted it to be, not by observing the live line, since this juniper had live line all around the trunk. I took the chance of loosing some branches I didnt want to loose. It worked and usually does when I do it to other junipers.

It takes the TX. heat quite well. However I shade the pot when its exposed to full sun, In the hottest part of our summer I put it under 50-60% sun shade. In winter time I expose it to full sun again, it stays on the bench all winter with no protection, sometimes being exposed to the lower teen tempratures.

Wayne, there is of course more deffining I could do or redesign. I'll probably do some of the branch shorting and filling out you mentioned. I might even remove it from it's pot put it in a grow container and let it beef up for a number of years.

Happy New Year ya'll. James

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!