Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Pic of my oak

Posted by literati08 9 North Ca. (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 16:05

When and How to Prune ... Thanks

Image link: Another Pic of my oak (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Pic of my oak

That could have a good future! I'd imagine pruning is best in the late winter so the wounds aren't exposed for very long. Pruning in dormany can also provide styling advantages because you don't have leaves in the way. Good luck!

o

Hi There, Finally,someone with an oak as a Bonsai in Training!!! Yours is absolutely exquisite in form-how did you come about getting yours? Did you grow it from seed or take a cutting or dig from ground as a young tree?? I have a live oak seedling grown from an acorn-mother tree is focal point of backyard-house built around it,and just in case something were to happen....storm,move...(I'd die before I move...)anyway, it is about a foot tall now with new shoots looking like maybe to branch out now.I don't know if it should be pruned by "cutting top off" :( or let it continue to mature awhile before making too drastic a decision.I'd love to have it form into what people see live oaks to be out in the fields of FL and GA....with branches bending to the ground and then starting back up again-gorgeous, aren't they? Well, fellow oak bonsai person, if you want to chat or have any tips, PLEASE send on and I will have a clue as to how to proceed with my live oak. Pls let me know the story behind your pin oak,it seems to be quite the Bonsai Beginning !!!

o

i am growing many different species of oaks from seed as i have found that i often get multitrunked seedling from a single seed, 2 to 3 trunks. i think willow oak have potential as they are shallow rooted (unlike bur oaks) and have smallish willow shaped leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here