Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i turn this THING into a bonsai?

Posted by jamie6788 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 0:57

I'm in a bonsai kick, first, I'm not positive what this is. Ginseng something? Focus...I don't even know, I posted it somewhere else but only had one response. Anyways, does anybody know what this is and, can I turn it into a bonsai? If so, I'm not sure how considering the shape.. :/ not a great pic but it's long like a carrot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i turn this THING into a bonsai?

It's a Ginseng Ficus, sold all over as 'bonsai', which is silly to me, but if you know about bonsai in general, how to grow ficus, etc., don't feel limited by semantics and just see what you can do. If you don't know about growing Ficus in pots, then do some research - there's tons out on the web.

o

hI
Noted you are in z 10 ,Florida?? Do you intend to grow this indoors?? the main problem with most of the ficus family is overgrowth . BUT they make wonderful potted plants because they are so adaptable Those I grow as dwarfed I grow in compacted sphagnum, water or rocks .
Only thing NOT to do is plant them in your yard lol gary

o

I'm not sure how to change my location but actually I live in ohio. I have this indoors in a little pot. I put it in a smaller pot than the pot it's in in the picture. I think that first pot was too big and considering it only has one long root I figured it would be ok in a smaller pot. Overgrowth?! This thing hasn't grown at all! Ive had it for about a year and all I've noticed is new leaves. I was hoping to do something cool with it since its got the neat curve to it and thought of a bonsai but, I have no clue about that or where to begin. Ill prob just let it be, will the trunk part continue to grow or just the leaves?

o

jamie, to edit your location/zone info, click on the Preferences link just above the "Preview Message" button, then click on "Edit Your Membership Details." The info goes in the "Garden Zone" box.

[It's possible the site software may ask you to log in before you can reach your member page; that happened to me recently, even though the reply box already had my user-name....]

Good luck with the ficus!

o

For better growth, put it in a larger container with a free-draining mix, give it as much light as possible (slowly, if it's been in low light), and fertilize regularly. That's the key.

Josh

o

• Posted by lulo none (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 11:59

I have this pomegranate and hope to create a beautiful bonsai .If someone give me an advice about it will be very important for me. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here