Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai from seed... what species do you recommend?

Posted by bonsaifromscratch none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 1:58

Hi everyone,

I am interested in growing bonsai from seed. I know all about the time requirements and the growing difficulties:).

I have been searching online for recommendations on trees that are suitable to grow from seed. I am aware that seeds will not be a replica of the parent plant.

So far I have grown tamarinds and dwarf pomegranates and am looking for other suggestions of tree specimens that can be grown from seed within a reasonable amount of time. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai from seed... what species do you recommend?

I forgot to mention I live in zone 5b, if this helps.

o

Cypress, Cedar, Calocedrus, Osage, Maple....

Josh

o

You're not clear about whether you want to grow only inside or only outside (your list looks like only indoors for your zone), but things like e.g. cypress (mentioned in the last note) won't grow outdoors there.

o

I have grown citrus trees from seed to make good bonsai trees; I even use those from fruit I purchase in the supermarket. Those with small leaves include key lime & tangerine but others don't have too large leaves to be used. Also I did one from mandarin orange which made a fantastic bonsai!

o

Thanks for the feedback. I germinate the seeds indoors and then bring them outside during summer. Then, when it gets cold, I bring them back in the house. I have a cold room were all the deciduous trees go (pomegranates) and the tropicals stay under grow lights.

o

You know, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of tropicals out there, and anything that grows woody, does not have large flowers or fruit (which cannot be reduced) is theoretically possible as long as you can access it... have you looked at local nurseries? What about online growers? We'll be happy to tell you if something's a bad bet if you ask as some could be harder than others depending on your experience and conditions.

o

I'd have to agree with dstroud, which suggests growing a citrus Bonsai. They're absolutely beautiful when they've developed fully.
If you ever enjoy having guests over, it will likely become a topic of conversation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai Trees

o

I have sprouted my first seeds ever this winter for bonsai. The trees are Jack Pine (Pinus Banksiana) and they were super easy to sprout, especially since they are one of the few species that does not require stratification. I have ordered 5 different types of seeds over the past year, and those were the only ones that actually were delivered. Good luck with finding a kind of tree to bonsai that suits you. Although Jack Pine is perfect for your zone. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here