Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trunk chopping

Posted by maximus8891 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 08 at 5:15

Some articles advise trunk chopping in order to improve bonsai's style, for example, increase tapering. They say after trunk chopping new shoots will grow out of remaining stub, you have to choose dominant one and proceed to develop bonsai.
But in some book (non-bonsai specific) it is said that if tree is heavily damaged it gives new shoots on remaining parts of tree AND root shoots (shoots appearing from the ground, i don't know precisely how it would be in English).
So i decided to try. After i chopped 2/3 of trunk original length, no new buds opened on trunk, but it gave a plenty of root shoots.
And now I'm wondering how i can control appearance of shoots on trunk and from the ground. Tree was an elm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trunk chopping

Hi, trunk chopping is generally recommended to be done above the lowest branch or branches as getting new ones below that can be a problem (as you found out). Not all trees will 'sucker' (grow new shoots from roots), but some deciduous ones do, particularly apple trees. What you can do is just continue to cut off the root shoots, but if you get no new growth from the trunk, you may want to consider leaving 1-2 root shoots to develop, along with any roots they may grow on the underside of the original root, and eventually cut that root off and grow it as a new tree. Whether or not the shoot becomes the 'tree' you want, I can't say.

o
RE: Trunk chopping

Cheers!

It's risky affair trunk-chopping if you can't know for sure whether it will give shoots on the trunk or not... By the way i've let one 'sucker' to survive to develop into a tree, i had no choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here