Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara03m

my bonsai lossing its green leaves !

sara03
9 years ago

Hello dears ,
I've brought a very lovely bonsai tree about 3-4 weeks ago , and it's losing a lot of ( green ) leaves since then , there is no sign of yellow or brown leaves ! I'm trying my best to know the problem .. I put the tree beside the window but not in direct sun , I'm letting the soil to dry between watering ( I water it thoroughly ) , try to keep it in humidity room as much as possible ..
what I'm doing wrong ?
I used a Liquid fertilizer once or twice before ( see the pic ) when I brought it .. and there's a greenish spots on the stem .. I'm not sure is it because of the liquid or the stem is rotting !! ( see the pic )
finally .. it was little bit cold 4 weeks ago ( 7 degree ) so I was thinking the bonsai not preferring a cold weather but now the weather's warmer .. but still no difference

help me please
thank you so much
sara

Comments (10)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

First of all - what kind of tree is it? Without knowing that, it's going to be hard for you to do the right thing - e.g. the particular type of tree may want full sun 15 hrs/day (or not at all), extra humidity or not at all, etc. etc... so try and find out what it is, or post some pix here and we'll try to ID it for you. One thing that happens when trees come home tho' (especially Ficus) is that they've been grown and kept in relatively ideal conditions before going 'home' and when faced with a sudden loss of light compared to what they had, they drop some or all of their leaves. If you're lucky, they will then adjust to lower light levels (or diff. watering, etc.) and come back with new leaves in time, but you can tell if they're still alive by making a firm scratch on the trunk (halfway up) and seeing if it's still green underneath... if not, it may be too late, but I'd at least give your tree more light... what may seem like 'moderate' light to us indoors, is actually quite dark to a tree.

• sara03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for your quick replay ..
    I uplode full pic of the tree , it seem Ficus to me but not sure
    I'm a new at these things
    I made a scratch as u said and thank God it's green underneath !

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Adenium obesum.... and it needs a lot more light for many hours a day... Also, did it come in that pot? While they do well in more crowded conditions than other plants, I'd think about changing it in future - but wait until everything else is back to normal and be careful about watering frequency.

This post was edited by moochinka on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 20:46

• sara03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you mean a smaller or larger pot ?

I live in very hot city ( like up to 45 degree !) I afraid more light will burn the leaves .. if I turn on the humidity machine on morning will that help ?

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Until summer in any case, don't worry about burning the leaves (esp. if you're keeping it indoors). That tree can take lots of sun... more light than you'll ever see indoors which, while it might look bright to us, is still nothing like as bright as a dull day outdoors. Really. If you get extreme heat in summer just use some common sense, but don't go overboard worrying about burning leaves unless the plant's outside. And I was talking about possibly moving it to a slightly (? 1") larger pot, if only because their root systems aren't terrific and there isn't a whole lot of room in that pot for a strong system to form... but again, don't go overboard, just nudge it wider a bit, like a rectangular/square bonsai pot vs what you're using now which looks a little unbalanced if nothing else.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

DUPLICATE!

This post was edited by moochinka on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 20:45

• halocline
    9 years ago

hi sara, I have 5 of these tree's & love them. how often do you water? is the greenish part soft or does it look like moss or algae build up?

• sara03
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you moochinka that help me alot
    I'll try to change the pot soon ..

dear halocline , I water the soil thoroughly but not the leaves since they falling .. I re water when the soil dry ..
    does you think the tree will die if I don't water the leaves ?

I start using a humidity machine weeks ago and I notice there is no more falling leaves ! even when I try to shake the tree little bit
    hope it will be fine from now on

• halocline
    9 years ago

try to put it in a well draining soil when you change pots. watering leaves is not necessary all the time. I usually do it when I water the plant to remove dust build up.

Rob.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Ficus microcarpa, aka gensing ficus, aka banyan or Chinese banyan fig, aka Cuban laurel, aka Chinese several other names.

Over-watering and sudden chill can cause green leaves to fall. Your tree has leathery leaves, rich in cuticular wax, so even though high humidity is appreciated by the plant, misting by hand is very ineffective at keeping humidity at a comfortable (for the plant) level. Even humidity trays do very little to raise humidity in the air surrounding plants.

Al