Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hohner765

My Bonsai germinated without cold stratification?

hohner765
9 years ago

I'm growing two bonsai seeds for the very first time. I planted one Red Maple (Acer Rubrum) seed, and a Mountain Pine (Pinus Mugo Pumilio). Here are the steps I've followed:

1. Soak the seeds in water overnight
2. Add moist soil to the pots
3. Bed each seed half an inch from the surface
4. Perforate a plastic bag, and please each pot inside
5. Leave in a dark place for 2 weeks (room temperature)

This is warm stratification. I then planned to put each one in the fridge for 4-6 weeks (cold stratification), where they should germinate. But I just looked at my Mountain Pine and it's already germinated! Photo here:

http://imgur.com/nX01yXg

I'm confused, because I haven't even put it into the fridge yet. The Red Maple still hasn't germinated yet:

http://imgur.com/WsGpmxn

What should I do? Put my Mountain Pine into refrigeration, or let it strengthen before transferring?

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Don't put it in the fridge - it's too late for 'dormancy' and you'll be able to put it outside in spring once the last frost where you live has passed. You don't say where you live or what zone you're in, so it's hard to say if the tree should be out for life afterward, but it's more likely than not. Is it a Swiss Mt. pine or ?? They don't do well outside below a certain temp (i.e. 15-20 F).

• hohner765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, so I'll keep the Mountain Pine out of the fridge. Does it look like it's fully germinated to you? What are the best next steps? Let it strengthen? I live in Berlin, so the average outside temperature right now is 35-55ðF (0-10ðC). It also gets very windy and rainy sometimes. I'm not sure about the type - it just says pinus mugo pumilio.

In terms of the ungerminated Red Maple, should I put that in the fridge?

• User
    9 years ago

Hi - not sure what you mean by 'fully' germinated... the seed has sprouted and will continue to grow into a tree. Not sure either why you posted a pic of soil in a pot (the maple) but the seed itself should have been put into the fridge between damp (not 'wet') paper towels, sprayed to keep damp when necessary and left for 3 months, then put into the pot half an inch down until it sprouted. You could try taking the seed out and doing that now (the pot of wet soil would be difficult to control water-wise). Your climate's fine for both trees to live outside for life once they're stronger. Put the pine out when I suggested - I'd plant it straight in the ground but not in the path of dripping water, and not in loamy soil (sandier is better), in a sunny spot, but possibly in the shade of larger trees at midday, and put the maple out in Oct. if it's grown to a few inches (presuming it sprouts in early summer). Planting them in the ground (no pots) will accelerate growth rate much better than pots... keep them in the ground for ? 3+ years or more til trunks have developed and you're ready to train them as bonsai.

This post was edited by moochinka on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 10:56

• hohner765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Until the last frost has gone, I'll keep the Pine inside. Should I keep it in the bag? Should I also keep it in a dark area, or will a light room be okay? Sorry for newbie questions :)

• User
    9 years ago

What bag? Nothing growing should be in a bag because condensation will rot everything. Give it lots of light though.

• Jamie Smith
    7 years ago

How are you getting on with these?

i believe I have the same starter pack as you and I have just planted my red maple and mountain pine.

can I ask a question. Once you've put them in the bag are you still watering daily? How long did it take for your plant to appear as it is?

• Robin English Judd
    7 years ago

My question is, do you keep them watered during stratification? I just put mine in the bags downstairs yesterday, but don't want to ruin them, someone help, I have a green thumb, but I have never attempted bonsai.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    7 years ago

No need to water during stratification. In fact keep it on dry side so that fungus will not take over.

• Rebecca Taylor
    5 years ago

im in the same boat. mine have sprouted rather quickly..two weeks...and im not sure if i should slow them don or go full steam ahead?august starts tomorrow and very hot here in london!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner