Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light

Posted by beatup99 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 9:47

Hello, it's me again ^^
I have another question... My bonsai is placed outside my window, and it catches direct sun during the entire day, but only on one side. Should I rotate the bonsai every day, so it can get sunlight on both sides?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light

Rotate the TREE (not "the bonsai")... yes.

o
RE: Light

Yes!
Plants grow toward the sun - Heliotropism (as I like to say) - or toward light - Phototropism. Whichever your prefer. So, if you want a plant to grow in a particular direction, aim it toward the path of the sun.

For balance, you need to turn the tree regularly. During the growing season/s, you need to turn the tree even more often. If you have the opportunity, observe how the tree receives light throughout the day.

In my living room, I have large east-facing windows, as well as a south-facing window. So, to capture as much sun as possible, I place my jade plants (for example) on the eastern windowsill in the morning. When I get home in the early afternoon, I move the jades to the southern windowsill. During the spring/summer growing season, I move them around on the deck often - several times a day, if I'm home.

If one of my plants is leaning, I'll turn it AWAY from the sun so that the plant will bring itself upright as it turns back toward the sun. In my opinion, it's good for both the trunk and the roots (anchoring).

Anyhow, this post is longer than it needed to be, but I thought I'd ramble. There's a good song - "Otherworldly Dreamer" playing... ;)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here