Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai Seed source

Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 9:52

I'm going to plant some bonsai tree seeds and wondering about the best source for the seeds.?

Thanks, Luke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai Seed source

Just to let you know, there are no true bonsai seeds. There are simply tree seeds. It is what you do with the tree that makes it bonsai, not the seed. Plenty of people on ebay have some tree seeds. Or FW Scumacher has them. If you go to ebay, dont buy from Seed Mart. I bought some Japanese white pine seeds and got eastern white pine.

Jason

o

Jason pretty much covered it. Select seeds from species that are appropriate to bonsai/container culture. I've been ejoying maple seeds, eventhough the seedlings are not "true" to the parent tree's form. Another thing to remember is this: the plant that you sprout will probably take 3 - 5 years to develop properly. Most of this time will be spent in-ground, in growing boxes, or in other transitional containers.

Bonsai:
"1950, from Japanese bon "basin, pot" + sai "to plant."

Josh

o

I got sme seeds from Misho bonsai in Canada. Well labeled and good germination after stratification- esp the black pine. I think misho means "fromm seed" but don't hold me to that
vicki

Here is a link that might be useful: vicki@flatrockkoi.com

o

Misho's good - started a tiny home bus. a few yrs ago and it's grown very well into a real concern. I think he probably quit his day job ;0)! And he knows his stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here