Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaceo_gw

Buckthorn

spaceo
16 years ago

Anyone here with experience with Buckthorn for Bonsai?

I moved into a house last summer with a ton of buckthorn in the back woods. This spring my girlfriend is on a purge mission. We're going to team up and I'm going to collect as many as a can and pot them up.(As for what's left - well - that's for a different forum. This is one seriously infective bush)

Has anyone tried these? I'm sure they fall into the 'hard to kill' category. I can only find one image on the web of one. They don't get very fat in the wild - so perhaps that's why they are rare as bonsai. I have one that was poisoned, removed from a landscaped wall, and left in the sun roots exposed to die for who knows how long before my gf glanced at it and thought it would make a nice bonsai for me. Its tiny so won't be much for a handful of years....but I stuck it in a pot and its very healthy in spite of the attempt on it's life. (will be a root over rock project)

My status = complete newb by the way. Depending on material I will probably experiment with some advanced techniques in spite of my newbieness. I have been specially asked by landscaping/gardening friends to torture these - as an example to other buckthorn - lol. so perhaps a windswept and some experimenting with jin, shari (snow damage look?) and such. I Will probably start applying these techniques in a spring 09 - although if I kill a buckthorn in impatience no jury will convict me.

Will probably dupe this message on bonsaisiteforums in case you see me over there.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company