Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strudeldog_gw

Bonsia Acer P. 'Mikawa Yatsuba'

strudeldog_gw
16 years ago

Question for you Bonsia folk. I recently purchased a couple Acer P. 'Mikawa Yatsuba' from a garden center that are in Bonsia pots and and pretty much fully leaved out. The center had them in with houseplants and as they were clearing them out and not look very healthy I am wondering if they never even reached dormancy in the fall, as opposed to leaving out early. I am a Maple person not really into Bonsia yet, and don't know if I will retain them as Bonsia as opposed to a container maple. My other maples are dormant winter hardened outside, and I have never dealt with one that seems to be skipping dormancy. I have it current in a cold unheated garage with minimal light. Should I attempt to force dormancy? or try to keep it active and leafed out? As stated earlier I am not a Bonsai person, but was also under the impression that the trees were still managed to dormancy, and would require that for health. I am thinking I should try and manage them in active growth into spring as opposed to forcing them dormant as this late date in my southerly location. The fact that they had them in with their houseplants was the wrong place fro them I believe. Thanks

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus