Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Bonsai Medium/Soil in IL

jodik_gw
15 years ago

Are there any growers in IL, or any growers that would know where I can find decent bonsai type medium relatively close to Central Illinois? If not, perhaps someone knows of a good place to order larger quantities of bonsai soil from online?

I'm looking for a mix that mainly uses pine bark fines and turface or granite chips as the main ingredients. I do not grow bonsai. However, I have found the same soils are better for growing most everything in containers, such as bulbs.

Thanks in advance for any information pointing me in the right direction.

Comments (8)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Can't really help you directly, but I will say that you won't find any bonsai soil worth its name with any kind of "fines" in it - they're all wrong for bonsai as they compact and make drainage more difficult, as well as blocking root pores.

• paul3636
    15 years ago

Lucy is right.
    Many standard mix use pine bark with fines and large pcs taken out as well as the other 2 ingredients
    Google IL bonsai nurseries
    Paul

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks... by "fines", I don't mean pine dust... I mean smaller pieces than orchid bark sized. I'm looking to maintain decent aeration.

I think I may have found a few sources... thanks.

• botanical_bill
    15 years ago

Buy a bag of schultz profile (aquatic plant medium, fired clay) and then buy a bag of bark chips and mix them.

• bonsaibean
    15 years ago

I lived and grew bonsai in Iowa for about 10 years before moving south. The club I was president of there made our soil mix the same way during the entire time, and had very good results:

1 part Turface
    1 part crushed granite
    2 parts pine bark
    *parts by volume, not weight

All of the above were sifted to remove anything smaller than 1/8" and larger than 1/4"

Obviously, this gives a 50% organic mix, which is a good starting point for many trees, but you can adjust the mix up or down based on the needs of the particular species.

Good luck!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks... that's very close to the mix I'm aiming for. I'm just having a difficult time finding the pine bark in a fine grade. I've already found good substitutions for the gritty ingredients.

The local garden center sells a ready mixed medium in small bags, and it's a very good one... but it's incredibly high priced! I need a lot more than one tiny bag, so I'm mixing in bulk.

Thank you for responding!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

I use a product called Microbark, which is sold as a mulch. It's about $8 for a 2 cubic ft. bag. I consider that a bit expensive; but it's local, and the quality and the supply seem reliable. So I just screen the big and small stuff out, then toss what I don't use out into the yard. This bark is actually smaller, and better quality, than both grades of bagged Orchid bark sold in the nursery store.

{{gwi:2584}}
    {{gwi:2585}}

• katskan41
    15 years ago

That bark looks interesting. I've not seen anything that small in my area (southwest Michigan) but I'll keep my eyes open for it. The bark size looks good for containers.

Thanks for letting us know about this product. I'll see if I can order it online or find a local dealer.

Regards,

Dave

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz