Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaze_no_sennyo

fluorescent grow lights

kaze_no_sennyo
15 years ago

Hello Everyone!

While I'm not necessarily new to bonsai, I've never had much luck with it either. I had a couple of gorgeous serissas (1 a 2 or 3 year old cutting that I started myself) and a couple of Fukien teas, as well as an azalea and countless poor tortured wal-mart junipers that I tried to rescue from their superglued prisons.

Our old apartment had terrible lighting, and every window leaked a draft from the arctic wastelands of the blasted north. Since we've moved to a new apartment with better lighting and windows I've decided to give my plants another chance.

I also started a new job, with my very own office cube, and a 3 ft T8 fluorescent fixture up under the bulkhead cabinet above my desk. The natural lighting at home shouldn't be too hard to take care of, but I was curious about the office situation. I would love to be able to bring a tree in to keep me company while I type. Herein lies my problem though...

I've been completely unable to find a 3ft t8 fluorescent grow bulb. I've found 2 ft. I've found 4 ft. No 3 ft. Have any of you been able to find one? Or is there some kind of adaptor rigging I could do to make a different bulb fit the same fixture? It's the perfect height above the desk to make this work. I was also wondering what types of trees might survive the office environment the best. It usually fluxuates around 68-78 degrees depending on who has control of the thermostat on any given day, and while my cube is right below the heating vent, the cabinet protects the spot where the trees would be from the worst of the drafts.

I know I've probably given way more information than you needed... but I wanted to say hi and do the "chipper introduction" thing at the same time. :)

Best wishes to all, happy growing, and thanks in advance for the help!

~dani

Comments (4)