Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus bonsai

Posted by Jenna5 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 12:50

I purchased this hibiscus at lowes about 3 years ago, I think it was about 2 or 3 years old when I got it, it has been in a pot it's whole life and has been repotted once, but never trained as a bonsai. It has large blooms, on average they are 4-5 inches in diameter, and peach with a dark red throat. I was wondering if I could still train this into a bonsai, or is it too late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus bonsai

Never too late (well... :-) - but wait til April at least before pruning hard down to a few branches... but do more research then before starting out. You're still growing 'sticks' and the lower trunk needs to be fattened up before being a 'bonsai', which means actually leaving one branch to grow uncut below the lowest one you actually plan to use as your 'first' bottom branch... that wild one, to be cut off in years to come as your design develops, will help fatten the lower trunk over time and then become a 'sacrifice' branch.

o

Will I be able to reduce the size of the leaves and flowers very much, and how? How much of the root mass can I take off in the first pruning? How long will it take to develope a good bonsai shape?

o

The flowers won't reduce... most of these bonsai allow only one or two flowers once established (you'd pinch the buds off), but of course you can work on the leaves like any other bonsai. Take off 1/3-1/2 of the ball depending on the pot you want to use and how the roots look. And how long it takes to become a bonsai depends on too many factors to think about predicting now.

o

Ok, thank you all for helping me :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here