Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xunterra

Help - Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree Dying!

xunterra
14 years ago

I am new to the bonsai community. I purchased my first tree (28yr old Chinese Elm) about 8-10 months ago and it had been doing really well until now. I have developed a strong interest in plants over the past 3-4 years, and have since collected many orchid specimens, although the art of Bonsai has really peaked my interest. I am currently a college student in Wisconsin, and my Chinese elm is living in the dorm with me. I am living on the third floor of a southwest facing building.

The tree is diseased with black spot; it has been damaged from the cold (one side of the tree was facing a cold window and the leaves on that side of the tree are all dead). The bonsai was recently left to dry out (by accident I didn't water it) and almost all of the leaves on the bonsai are turning yellow (is this from the black spot or from being under watered?) I sprayed the tree with a fungicide last night and gave it some water. I am not getting my hopes up on saving the tree; I am just wondering how you experts would save this tree if you were in my position. The tree is watered once every 4 days (approx.) and it receives strong indirect sunlight throughout the day. The temperature in the room is around 70 and there is average humidity in the room, seeing as I mist the other 6 plants in the room regularly. There is extremely good ventilation in the room (open window and space heater going) I would really hate to lose this tree, but I am a 100% n00b at bonsai so I am surprised it survived as long as it did. I appreciate your advice. Thanks so much! Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: PICS OF THE TREE

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting